Eat a hearty breakfast every day
A particularly large number of calories are burned after breakfast
Lübeck. Twice as much energy is burned at breakfast as at dinner. This is the result of a study by the Section for Psychoneurobiology at the University of Lübeck (J Clin Endocrinol Metab 2020; online February 19)
According to a communication from the university, researchers led by Professor Kerstin Oltmanns investigated whether food-induced thermogenesis (NIT) varies with the time of day with identical meals and whether this regulation is maintained even after low-calorie meals compared to high-calorie meals.
Amount of heat measured
In a blinded, randomized laboratory study, 16 men of normal weight received either a low-calorie breakfast and a high-calorie dinner or, conversely, a high-calorie breakfast and a low-calorie dinner.
The NIT was measured by means of indirect calorimetry based on the amount of heat given off. The researchers also determined parameters of glucose metabolism. In addition, hunger and sweets consumed were compared in both groups.
Result: In general, breakfast led to a 2.5 times higher NIT compared to dinner, according to the study authors. At breakfast, blood sugar and insulin levels rose significantly more slowly in comparison.
Fasting in the morning does not make you slim
The conclusion of the Lübeck researchers: After a meal in the morning, generally more calories are burned than in the evening. This daily rhythm is maintained even with a low-calorie diet, for example during a weight loss diet. After a low-calorie breakfast, the appetite for sweets also increases during the day, which in turn leads to increased snacking.
The importance of the time of day for energy expenditure has been discussed contradictingly for years. The study proves that human energy expenditure is higher in the morning than in the evening, says Oltmanns.
This is important for overweight people who like to skip breakfast to lose weight and then eat a lot in the evening.
A follow-up study will examine the results of the study with regard to weight loss in overweight people. (eb)
- Barcodes can contain images
- Why is BMI used to measure obesity
- How do I update Magento
- What is the Defense Against Google Dorking
- How can I conduct corporate trainings
- Why do 13-year-olds have phones
- Undercover narcissists dismiss you permanently
- How can I turn a hundred dollars
- Which is the most expensive liquid in the world
- How is Stanford's campus culture
- What are the four components of blood
- Why is gun control bad
- Bipolar disorder is a serious psychological problem
- Can China's economy outperform the US?
- Why is obesity obsolete?
- What are the most frequently asked Java questions
- Are lions afraid of tigers?
- 510 is short for a man
- What are the disadvantages of being healthy
- How do black women see their bodies
- How do the rich take advantage of the poor
- What's the most creative use of IFTTT
- Everyone has sex at a university
- What is said to be demanding in Austin, Texas