What does Facebook user mean
User numbers: Facebook, Instagram, Messenger and WhatsApp, highlights, sales, and much more. (As of April 2021)
Official Facebook figures are published every three months in the Facebook stock market report.In contrast to the other sources, there are reliable user numbers for Facebook, WhatsApp and Instagram and there is also an insight into other areas. You can find out in detail here:
- Current Facebook user numbers
- Numbers for Instagram and WhatsApp
- Use of groups, Instagram stories, Facebook video, ...
- Mobile user numbers
- Sales from Facebook
What is not mentioned in the stock market report are the latest user figures for Germany, in the stock market report from Facebook only Europe is shown separately. However, you can always find the latest figures on the use of Facebook, Instagram and WhatsApp in Germany in our article on this topic.
Before we finally get to the numbers, a quick explanation of how Facebook presents the numbers:
- What are "active" users?Someone who has used Facebook at least once a month. This means that Facebook does not only list registered accounts here. But you should pay much more attention to how many people use Facebook every day. You can find this number below.
- They're all fake users, aren't they? No! Facebook gives figures on this in every stock market report. Check out this post here.
- What is the source for the data presented here?You can find the stock market report and the documents here.
- What are "mobile users"?Everyone who uses Facebook via the smartphone app or the mobile version. Anyone who only uses this route is a "mobile only" user.
- Does Facebook add the number of users from the various platforms?No, so far Facebook, Instagram and WhatsApp have always been specified separately. It can be assumed that many people are using several of the platforms at the same time, but there is also a large proportion who do not.
- Where do I get the latest figures for my country, my city, ...?Have a look at this post here. In any case, you shouldn't use the advertising manager for this.
But now to the last numbers:
Facebook user numbers April 2021 (Q1 / 2021)
The highlights of the current stock market report:
- 1.8 billion people use Facebook every day.
- One million daily users were added in Europe in the past quarter.
- The monthly number of users on Facebook has increased by 50 million. 4 million of them in Europe.
- The advertising revenue per user in Europe rose from 10 to 15 US dollars within one year.
- Across all networks combined, the Facebook family gained 100 million daily active users within a quarter.
- Quarterly sales increased by over $ 8 billion year-on-year.
- Europe accounts for over 2 billion of this.
All figures and statistics can be found in the current quarterly report
Facebook user numbers January 2021 (Q4 / 2020)
The highlights from the current stock market report:
- 2.6 billion people use the services of Facebook every day (incl. WA, IG, ...)
- 3.3 billion people use Facebook's services at least once a month (including WA, IG, ...)
- Facebook alone reaches 1.8 billion daily users and 2.8 billion per month.
- 308 million people use Facebook every day in Europe, a slight increase for the first time in almost a year.
- Facebook now has 58,000 employees worldwide
- Facebook made over 28 billion in sales in the last quarter. For comparison: a year ago it was 21 billion. Significant increase, possibly also because of Corona.
Facebook user numbers October 2020 (Q3 / 2020)
The highlights from the current stock market report:
- 2.5 billion people use the services of Facebook every day (incl. WA, IG, ...)
- 3.2 billion people use Facebook's services at least once a month (including WA, IG, ...)
- Facebook alone reaches 1.8 billion daily users and a total of 2.7 billion in September 2020
- 305 million people use Facebook every day in Europe, this number has now stagnated for three quarters
- 200 million companies use one of Facebook's services (including WA, IG)
- 10 million of these companies place advertisements
- 100 billion messages are sent on WhatsApp every day
- 400,000 "creators" have provided an AR effect
- Facebook now has 56,600 employees worldwide
- Facebook made over 21.5 billion in sales in the last quarter. For comparison: a year ago it was 17.7 billion. Significant growth, despite Corona.
Here are a few numbers in detail:
2.5 billion people use a Facebook service, over 300 million more than a year ago
3.21 billion people use a Facebook service per month
Facebook itself has 1.8 billion daily users. 305 million people in Europe use Facebook.
2.7 billion monthly Facebook users. 413 million in Europe.
$ 21 billion in revenue last quarter.
Facebook user numbers August 2020 (Q2 / 2020)
Facebook reports on the "Corona quarter" and has many figures in its luggage again. These don't look as bad as one might have suspected, despite Corona and the global movement that speaks out against advertising on Facebook.
- Facebook records 2.47 billion daily (!) Users across all apps (including WhatsApp and Instagram)
- 1.79 billion people use Facebook every day
- 305 million people use Facebook every day in Europe
- Facebook generated sales of US $ 18.6 billion in the last quarter (10% more than last year at this time)
- 9 million companies advertise on Facebook, so Facebook has a very high proportion of SMEs
- The top 100 companies with the highest advertising revenues together account for only 16% of the Facebook advertising business
- WhatsApp Business is used by 50 million people
- Facebook now has 52,000 permanent employees
1.785 billion active Facebook users every day.
2.701 billion active monthly users
US $ 18 billion in sales in Q2 2020
Facebook user numbers April 2020 (Q1 / 2020)
In the middle of the Corona crisis, Facebook published the latest stock market report.
Here are the highlights:
- With all apps (incl. WhatsApp, Instagram, ...) Facebook only narrowly missed a new major milestone. There are now 2.99 billion users across all apps.
- 2.36 billion of them are active every day.
- Facebook alone has 2.6 billion active users, of which 1.73 billion are active every day.
- In Europe, 305 million people are active on Facebook every day.
- Facebook now has over 48,000 employees worldwide.
- There are over 700 million people using video calls every day on WhatsApp and Messenger. Corona has doubled this.
- The number of messages sent has increased by 50% due to Corona.
Here are a few more details:
2.36 billion daily active users across all services
1.7 billion people use Facebook every day
2.6 billion active Facebook users
US $ 17 billion in sales in the first quarter of 2020
Facebook user numbers January 2020 (Q4 / 2019)
The first official Facebook user numbers in 2020 are:
- 2.9 billion people use at least one Facebook service per month (FB, IG, WA, ...)
- 2.3 billion people use at least one of these services every day
- There are 394 million active Facebook users in Europe - 294 million of whom are active on Facebook every day
- There are 140 million active companies on Facebook (based on small businesses)
- 4 million companies advertise with Instagram story ads
- 21.1 billion sales in the last quarter (25% more than last year)
Here are the details from the stock market report.
Users across all Facebook services: 2.9 billion people
Facebook now knows the users across the various services. That means these numbers include Instagram, WhatsApp and Oculus. Over 2 billion people are active on these apps every day:
Facebook users and sales
66% of the users are active on Facebook every day. In Europe there are 294 million users.
In the last quarter, Facebook made $ 21 billion in revenue. In 2019, Facebook had over $ 70 billion in revenue.
Facebook user numbers October 2019 (Q3 / 2019)
Facebook also delivers good figures in the third quarter of 2019.
- 2.8 billion people use one of the Facebook services (Facebook, Instagram, WhatsApp or Messenger)
- 2.2 billion people use at least one or more services every day
- 1.62 billion daily active Facebook users (+ 9% in one year)
- 140 million companies are active on Facebook
- US $ 17.7 billion in sales in Q3 2019
- 28% more sales from ads than a year ago
- 94% of ad sales are mobile
A little more precisely:
1.6 billion daily users, 288 million in Europe
2.4 billion active users, 387 million in Europe
Sales of 17.6 billion US $, 4.1 of which in Europe
Facebook user numbers July 2019 (Q2 / 2019)
Facebook has to pay a hefty fine to consumer protection in the US and implement some new data protection mechanisms. Everything else is going pretty well:
- Across all apps, Facebook has 2.7 billion active users. Of these, 2.1 billion are active every day
- Facebook was able to increase ad revenue by 28% in one year
- 15.6 billion US $ of advertising revenue came from mobile advertising (94%!)
- Facebook has 2.4 billion active users
- Facebook generated sales of US $ 16.9 billion in the last quarter
- Facebook currently has 39,700 employees, 31% more than a year ago
- Facebook made a profit of US $ 2.6 billion in Q2 / 2019
The numbers in detail:
2.4 billion active users, including 385 million in Europe
1.59 billion daily users, 286 million of them in Europe
And for the first time no growth in Europe. This is true for the entire year, but not yet in this quarter.
US $ 16.8 billion in sales
Facebook user numbers April 2019 (Q1 / 2019)
With the quarterly report in April, Facebook agreed to major changes in the direction of “data protection” and also conceded that these could perhaps have an impact on growth in the long term.
But against the background of rapidly growing sales and accesses, this is not a problem for the time being:
- 2.7 billion people use Facebook, Instagram, WhatsApp or Messenger, 2.1 billion of them every day
- 1.56 billion daily active Facebook users
- 2.32 billion active Facebook users
- 384 million users in Europe
- Facebook has 37,700 employees
- The top 100 advertisers are responsible for less than 20% of ad sales. Facebook was able to reduce its dependency on these customers here.
Facebook user numbers January 2019 (Q4 / 2018)
On January 30, 2019, Facebook published the first official Facebook user figures for this year. As announced last year, the "complete" user numbers are now also published, including services such as Instagram, WhatsApp or Messenger. Here are the numbers at a glance:
- 2.7 billion people use Facebook, Instagram, WhatsApp or Messenger, 2 billion of them every day.
- 1.52 billion daily active Facebook users (9% increase compared to the previous year)
- 2.32 billion active Facebook users
- 381 million users in Europe (+ 11 million compared to the previous year)
- 93% of advertising revenue is generated through mobile ads
- Facebook has 35,587 employees
- 500 million people use Instagram Stories every day
- 400 million active “Facebook Watch” users. On average over 20 minutes of video consumption in Watch.
- 90 million SMEs use Facebook.
- 7 million active advertisers
Facebook has the following focus in 2019:
Going into 2019, we're focused on four priorities:
First, continue making progress on the major social issues facing the internet and our company.
Second, build new experiences that meaningfully improve people’s lives today and set the stage for even bigger improvements in the future.
Third, keep building our business by supporting the millions of businesses - mostly small businesses - that rely on our services to grow and create jobs.
And fourth, communicate more transparently about what we're doing and the role of our services play in the world.
Facebook user numbers October 2018 (Q3 / 2018)
It's been a tough few months for Facebook or a tough year with criticism from all sides. Of course, something like this is also commented on in the stock market report and affects the numbers. But they're not as bad as the critics always think.
- 2.3 billion Facebook users is there.
- 1.5 billion use Facebook every day (+ 9% compared to the previous year).
- 2.6 billion people use Facebook, WhatsApp, Instagram or Messenger (+100 million over the last quarter).
- 2 billion people use at least one of the services every day.
- Facebook generated sales of US $ 13.7 billion in the last quarter (+ 33% YTY).
- 100 billion messages are sent every day via the various services.
- 1 billion stories are shared by users every day.
- Marketplace is used by 800 million people
- 3 million companies use WhatsApp
- There are 90 million Facebook pages.
Facebook user numbers July 2018 (Q2 / 2018)
In July 2018, Facebook not only had positive news to announce. Although the numbers developed well, they fell short of investors' expectations, which is why the Facebook share temporarily fell by over 10%. Here are some numbers at a glance:
- 2.34 billion Facebook users is there
- 1.47 billion thereof active on Facebook every day
- Beyond Facebook, Instagram and WhatsApp, Facebook has over 2.5 billion users (a user is only counted once across different networks)
- There are 376 million Facebook users in Europe, for the first time ever, a decline is officially discernible here. In the last quarter it was a million more. Last year at this time, however, “only” 360 million
- US $ 13 billion in sales made Facebook in the last quarter (+ 42% compared to Q2 / 2017), of which around US $ 5 billion remained as profit
- Facebook is now doing 91% of advertising sales on mobile devices
- over 30,000 people work on Facebook, 47% more than a year ago
- There are 25 million business profiles (i.e. company accounts) and 2 million advertisers on Instagram
- 400 million people use Instagram Stories, 450 million WhatsApp status
Facebook user numbers April 2018 (Q1 / 2018)
After the “data protection scandal” towards the end of March 2018, everyone was curious to see how this would affect sales and other key figures. In short: not at all at first.
Mark Zuckerberg nevertheless reiterates that they are now aware of the responsibility for the community:
"We have a responsibility to keep our community safe and secure, and we're going to invest heavily to do that."
But now back to the official user numbers at the end of the first quarter of 2018
- Facebook has 2.2 billion active users
- 1.4 billion use the platform every day
- 282 million use Facebook every day in Europe
- Facebook generated almost US $ 12 billion in sales in the 1st quarter of 2018
- Compared to the 1st quarter of 2017, sales increased by 49%
- 100 billion messages are sent every day via WhatsApp and Messenger
- 3 million people use WhtasApp Business
- 3 billion minutes of video and voice calls occur every day.
- 25 million companies are active on Instagram (November 2017)
Facebook user numbers February 2018 (Q4 / 2017)
In this quarterly report, in addition to the classic figures, the main focus was on how the platform has changed this year:
"One of the most important things we do is make sure our services aren’t just fun to use, but also good for people’s well-being and for society overall."
At the core are three major changes that Facebook is currently implementing:
- The first is prioritizing meaningful social interactions over passive consumption of content.
- The second update we announced is about making sure the information you see on Facebook comes from broadly trusted and high-quality sources, in order to counter misinformation and polarization.
- Finally, we've started rolling out a major ads transparency effort.
But now back to the first official Facebook user numbers that we have in 2018:
- Facebook has 2.1 billion active users
- 1.4 billion use the platform every day
- 277 million use Facebook every day in Europe
- Facebook generated almost US $ 13 billion in sales in the fourth quarter of 2017
- WhatsApp is used by 1.5 billion people
- 60 billion messages are sent via WhatsApp every day
- 70 million companies use Facebook, 6 million advertising accounts
- 25 million companies are active on Instagram (November 2017)
Messenger user numbers from January 2018
David Marcus (Head of Messenger) published usage figures for Messenger at the start of the year:
- 1.3 billion people actively use Messenger
- There are 200,000 bots in Messenger
- 500 billion emojis were sent in 2017, 18 billion GIFs
- There were 17 billion video chats in 2017
- 100 million people use "M Suggestions"
Facebook user numbers from November 2017 (Q3 / 2017)
In this quarterly report, in addition to the classic numbers, the main focus was on security on Facebook:
... The most important thing I discussed was the work we're doing to protect the security and integrity of our service. We're investing so much in security that it will impact our profitability. I want to be clear what our priority is: protecting our community is more important than maximizing our profits. ...
The numbers from November 2017 at a glance:
- 2.1 billion Facebook users
- 1.37 billion daily Facebook users (+ 16% year on year)
- For the first time, more than $ 10 billion in revenue in a quarter (47% more than last year)
- 10,000 employees take care of the security on Facebook. This number is expected to double in the next year
- 500 million Instagram users every day, 800 million in total
- 300 million people use Instagram Stories and WhatsApp Status
- 20 million companies communicate with their customers on Facebook via direct messages (e.g. in Messenger)
- 6 million companies post advertising on Facebook
- 2 million companies post advertising on Instagram
- 550 million people use the Facebook Marketplace (classified ads)
- 30,000 companies use Facebook Workplace
Facebook user numbers from July 2017 (Q2 / 2017)
At a glance:
- 2 billion active Facebook users
- 1.3 billion daily active Facebook users
- 250 million daily users of Instagram Stories
- 250 million daily WhatsApp Status users
- 70 million companies on Facebook
- 15 million company (profiles) on Instagram
- 1.32 billion daily Facebook users (+ 17% compared to the previous year)
- 9.2 billion US $ sales in Q2 / 2017 - in Europe the advertising business increased by over 43% (compared to previous year)
- US $ 8 billion in revenue comes from mobile ads
- The price of ads has increased by 24%
Figures from May 2017 (Q1 / 2017)
Figures from the stock market report for the first quarter of 2017.
- 1.9 billion people actively use Facebook (at least once a month)
- Almost 1.3 billion of them are active on Facebook every day
- 1.2 billion people use Messenger
- 700 million people use Instagram
- 1.2 billion people use WhatsApp
- There are now over 70 million Facebook pages
- 5 million companies advertise on Facebook (advertising accounts)
- Instagram Stories are used by 200 million people
- WhatsApp Status is used by 175 million people every day
- Video shared 1: 5 on Facebook is a live video
- Facebook generated sales of US $ 8 billion in the first quarter (Q1 2016 was 5.3 billion)
- Facebook generates 85% of advertising revenue on mobile devices (US $ 6.7 billion)
Figures from January 2017 (Q4 / 2016)
- Facebook now has nearly 1.9 billion active users worldwide. Including 349 million in Europe.
- 1.2 billion people use Facebook “mobile only”.
- Instagram has over 600 million active users. Of these, 400 million go online every day.
- 400 million users access audio and video chats in Messenger every day.
- WhatsApp is also growing rapidly and now has 1.2 billion users worldwide.
- 65 million companies use Facebook Pages. 5 million companies have an Instagram business account.
- 4 million companies advertise on Facebook and over 500,000 on Instagram.
- The total turnover for 2016 was 27.6 billion euros and thus over 50% above the previous year's turnover
- For 2017 the company plans extensive investments in the area of the number of employees as well as in data centers and premises.
Figures from July 2016 (Q2 / 2016)
- 1.13 billion people are active on Facebook every day
- The vast majority (1.03 billion) of them use a mobile device
- There are currently 1.71 billion active Facebook users - 15% more than a year ago
- Here, too, the majority have a mobile device: 1.57 billion people also use Facebook on the move - 20% more than a year ago
- It is also impressive that 967 million people only use Facebook on their mobile device
- No wonder that mobile advertising now accounts for 84% of Facebook's advertising revenue
- Facebook generated $ 6.43 billion in revenue in the second quarter of 2016, a year ago it was $ 4.042 billion in the same quarter
- 500 million people use Instagram
- 1 billion people use Facebook Messenger and 17 billion photos are sent on Messenger every month
- Over 1 billion people use WhatsApp
Figures from April 2016 (Q1 / 2016)
- Daily active users (DAUs) - currently use 1.09 billion people on Facebook every day. That is 16% more than 1 year ago.
- Daily active mobile users (Mobile DAUs) - 989 million people use Facebook every day on a mobile device.Here Facebook recorded an increase of over 25%.
- Monthly active users (MAUs) - There are 1.65 billion active Facebook users. Like the daily active users, this value has increased by 15% compared to the previous year. 1.51 billion of them use Facebook also or only mobile.
- 82% of Facebook's advertising revenue is generated through mobile advertising.
- 1 billion people use the WhatsApp messenger.
- 900 million people use Facebook Messenger.
- 400 million people use Instagram.
Figures from January 2016 (Q4 / 2015)
- sales - US $ 17.93 billion in 2015, 44% more than in 2014
- Profit - US $ 3.69 billion
- Daily active Facebook users - 1.04 billion a day, 25% more than a year ago
- Total active Facebook users - 1.59 billion users were active on Facebook every month, 14% more than in the previous year
- Mobile users - 1.44 billion users are active with their smartphone every month, 934 million of them even daily
- Mobile users only - 823 million users are only active on Facebook with their smartphone, i.e. more than 50% of users
- Mobile advertising revenue - generated 80% of Facebook's sales in the last quarter of 2015!
- Whatsapp - 900 million active users worldwide, according to Mark Zuckerberg, there are almost a billion
- Facebook Messenger - 800 million active users (monthly)
- Instagram - 400 million active users, 9 million of whom use Instagram in Germany
- Facebook groups - 1 billion active users
- Facebook events - 500 million active users
- Facebook pages - There are now over 50 million active “small business” pages on Facebook
- Internet.org - Facebook now supplies 19 million people with the Internet through the project
Figures from November 2015 (Q3 / 2015)
- 1.55 billion active Facebook users
- 900 million WhatsApp users
- 700 million messenger users
- 400 million Instagram users
- 1 billion people are active on Facebook every day
- 925 million use Facebook groups
- Over 8 billion videos are viewed every day
- 15 million people are online through Internet.org
- 45 million SMEs have their own Facebook page
There are other interesting figures within the stock market report:
- 78% of the advertising turnover is achieved by Facebook on mobile devices
- 233 million users are active in Europe every day
- US $ 4.5 billion in revenue last quarter
- US $ 3.47 revenue per user in Europe
- 727 “Mobile Only” users of Facebook
Figures from July 2015 (Q2 / 2015)
- 1.49 billion active users
- 800 million people use WhatsApp (WhatsApp is counted separately and does not count in the other Facebook user numbers!)
- 700 million people use the messenger
- 300 million people use Instagram
- 1.5 billion search queries per day and 2 trillion posts are indexed in the search
- 1 billion people have access to the Internet.org project
- 850 million people use groups on Facebook
- 450 million people use events on Facebook
- There are 40 million SMBs using Facebook Pages
- 1.3 billion Facebook mobile users
- 65% of Facebook users log in daily (968 million, + 17% compared to the previous year)
- Users spend 45 minutes a day in the Facebook, Messenger and Instagram app. (Without WhatsApp!)
- $ 4 billion in revenue last quarter (+ 42% compared to the previous year)
- The mobile advertising business grew 74% over the past year
Figures from January 2015 (Q4 / 2014)
- 1.39 billion active Facebook users
- 700 million of them use groups and 500 million use the messenger
- also 700 million active WhatsApp users
- 300 million active Instagram users
- 890 million Facebook users are online every day ...
- ... who make more than 1 billion searches on Facebook, share ~ 2 billion pictures per day, watch 3 billion videos and distribute 7 billion likes per day
- What is the Presbyterian Church of America
- Are there still vertically written languages today?
- Do you feel safe where you live?
- Which country has the most bakeries
- Rajma is good for patients with hypothyroidism
- How do I save the turtles
- The western education system fails
- How do independent sex workers find clients
- What are popular gifts for Mother's Day
- How stressful are jobs in IT
- Where can you find high IQ women
- Are Japanese xenophobic
- What is a keyword in SEO
- How does a jellyfish sting feel?
- Day old bread is safe to eat
- The payment stops affect your credit
- How is backpacking
- What is 0 0 7
- What does bible mean
- How do software companies become GDPR compliant
- How does breakfast affect our mood?
- Why does Quora moderate the responses
- Is the NRA really against gun control?
- How do I get customers for the website