What does it mean to reject the null hypothesis
Next page:Alternative hypothesis Upwards:Test procedure Previous page:Hypothesis test & nbsp index
As Null hypothesis (English: null hypothesis) is the term used to describe the assumption about the “population” to be tested in the context of a “hypothesis test”. The assumption that is actually of interest, the so-called assumption, is often not chosen as the null hypothesis Working hypothesisbut the assumption that you want to refute. This indirect evidence confuses most users, but is due to the fact that many interesting assumptions about parameters of the population can only be formulated very unspecifically.
In order to be able to carry out a hypothesis test, however, one needs an exact assumption in order - based on this assumption - to simulate conceivable sample results and to compare them with the data of the sample collected. If such an exact specification, as in many cases, is only possible for the opposite of the actually interesting working hypothesis, then it is the starting point of the test procedure.
A positive test result initially means nothing more than that the null hypothesis has been refuted. This implicitly confirms the assumption that is actually of interest (in the example the assumption of greater income losses for women), with what certainty this "alternative hypothesis" was confirmed, is not the subject of the test procedure. In order to be able to calculate the probability with which the alternative hypothesis was confirmed, the presumed difference in income losses would have to be specified (see "Test Strength").
Next page:Alternative hypothesis Upwards:Test procedure Previous page:Hypothesis test & nbsp index HJA 2001-10-01
- What is information science and systems
- Which element has the chemical symbol Th
- Dance better than jog
- Is WP Engine Hosting Better Than Hostinger
- Which food protein should you have every day?
- How do cryptocurrencies work
- How to say whistleblower in Portuguese
- Prefer Xbox or PlayStation
- What are the key qualifications in netball
- Difference between supervisor and team leader
- What is your made in china product
- Can you die in the military?
- Can Pakistan get Kashmir
- Which vitamin slows down aging
- Can WhatsApp become more racist
- What counts least for the screw gauge
- Titan burns why
- How can I learn to read quickly online
- How popular is JD com in China
- What reduces cardiovascular disease
- What can you do about prostate cancer
- What is it like to live with HIV / AIDS
- How many months does a year have
- What knowledge saved your life
- Can you swim with blue whales
- Make affiliate marketing programs
- What inspires you to go on living every day
- What happens without ethics
- What strange A2A inquiries have you received
- What happened to Princess Margaret
- Why can't my husband cum inside me
- Are tall people less or smarter
- How do you factor polynomials
- Has US foreign policy collapsed?