Can diabetics eat pomegranate
Home> News & Events> Diabetes News> Archives> 2007> 070711b
Studies show its beneficial effects on diabetes and other diseases
The pomegranate is one of the oldest cultivated plants and is characterized in particular by its antioxidant potential. Numerous studies have shown positive effects on cardiovascular diseases, diabetes mellitus, osteoporosis or chronic inflammatory processes due to the abundance of phytochemicals.
For these health-promoting effects of the pomegranate primarily polyphenolic ingredients seem to be responsible. According to scientific studies, polyphenols such as flavonoids, catechins and phenolic acids can inhibit the arterial calcification of our vessels, contribute to lowering blood pressure, stimulate the immune system and limit the oxidation of harmful LDL cholesterol . Since a large number of chronic and inflammatory diseases can be traced back to oxidative damage, the current research effort is aimed at a possible influence of the bioactive constituents of the pomegranate in the development of these diseases.
There was also evidence of a direct relationship between the development of Alzheimer's dementia and the consumption of pomegranate juice. This accordingly reduces the deposition of the glycoprotein complex beta-amyloid in the brain, which in the event of illness leads to failures and loss of function in the peripheral nervous system. Avoiding the formation of these dangerous plaques reduced the risk of the disease .
Oxidative damage, triggered by free radicals, also causes degenerative changes in other organs. The reactive oxygen species generally arise in the body and, due to their cell-damaging effect, support it in defending itself against bacteria and viruses. But if they are in excess in the event of an enormous increase, they promote damage to membrane lipids and DNA, among other things.
Free radicals not only arise in the organism, but also occur increasingly in the environment. Typical sources are air pollution, UV radiation or cigarette smoke. For this reason, people who are exposed to increased oxidative stress due to illnesses, environmental conditions, dysstress and lifestyle factors benefit in particular from the regular consumption of pomegranate juice. The juice of the fruit mentioned in the Old Testament contains a large number of ellagannins, flavonoids and anthocyanins, which enable the efficient interception of mutagenic substances. Their positive effects on natural cell regulation have already been demonstrated in a large number of studies.
As with antioxidant ingredients in other foods, for example soy or green tea, the same applies to pomegranate that eating the entire fruit and not the isolated substances can have a positive effect. Studies have shown that individual substances have hardly any antioxidant effects, as the holistic interplay of many ingredients is crucial for such an effect. The higher the proportion of natural protective active ingredients in daily food, the better our organism is armed against oxidative damage. If fresh pomegranate is not available during the year, a high-quality extract containing the entire spectrum of pomegranate vital substances can also be a good alternative for risk groups.
1. Aviram M., Rosenblat M., Gaitini D .: Pomegranate juice consumption for 3 years by patients with carotid artery stenosis reduces comm carotid intima-media thickness, blood pressure and LDL oxidation. Clinical nutrition (2004). 23, 423-433.
2. Hartman D .: Free radical theory of aging: Alzheimer's disease pathogenesis. Age 1995; 18: 97-119.
last modified: 07/11/2007
- Who are all the Hokages
- Can we get business contacts from Quora
- Why do people record concerts
- Which news source is the most factual
- How does the minimum wage help the economy?
- Instagram business profile and promotions are free
- What is studying psychology
- What Are Some Obesity Prevention Programs
- Should the bread be covered when baking
- How hard is the class at Stanford
- Which is better cured or uncured bacon
- How do toppers learn effectively
- Should give Quora points for answering questions
- What is a negative spacetime curvature
- Why are most brokers broke
- What supports the existence of an afterlife
- Eats a lot of mints badly
- How exactly does growth hacking work?
- Is Quora Blogging Better Than Google Blogging
- What are the effects of wildlife extinction
- How should we treat foreigners
- Which watch brand has the greatest prestige?
- Can time ever move backwards?
- Is the keto diet good for diabetics