Is it really possible to be stoic?
The adjective stoic today means generally "indifferent", "imperturbable". It describes people who cannot be disturbed by anything, are always in control and are largely free of emotional fluctuations.
The term came into German through Latin stoicus, i.e. "concerning the Stoa". The Stoa, in turn, was one of the four great schools of philosophy in ancient Greece. Its founder, Zenon von Kition, first met with his students in the stoa poikile, the painted hypostyle hall opposite the Acropolis in Athens.
In addition to other aspects, the stoic teaching also with ethical questions and normatively specifies the striving for ataraxia, apatheia and self-sufficiency, i.e. for emotional equanimity, imperturbability towards negative events and self-sufficiency. The current meaning in German usage emerges from the ethical model of the Stoa.
Audio sample: Listen to the pronunciation
Phonetic transcription (IPA):[ˈƩtoːɪʃ]
His stoic Quiet was remarkable. Nothing seemed to throw him off balance.
With more stoic She accepted the accusations on her face.
Grammar and inflection
|stoic||more stoic||most stoic|
|Feminine||stoic||more stoic||more stoic||stoic|
|Masculine||the stoic one||of the stoic||the stoic||the stoic|
|Feminine||the stoic||the stoic||the stoic||the stoic|
|neuter||the stoic||of the stoic||the stoic||the stoic|
|Plural||the stoic||the stoic||the stoic||the stoic|
|Masculine||not a stoic one||not a stoic one||not a stoic one||not a stoic one|
|Feminine||not a stoic one||none stoic||none stoic||not a stoic one|
|neuter||not a stoic one||not a stoic one||not a stoic one||not a stoic one|
|Plural||not stoic||none stoic||not a stoic one||not stoic|
Subscribe for free and learn a new foreign word every day
Receive the word of the day every morning with our free newsletter. You can unsubscribe at any time. Your data will not be passed on to third parties for advertising purposes.
More interesting words:
hedonistic - content: meaning pronunciation usage examples increase ...
filigree - content: meaning pronunciation usage examples increase and ...
Habitus - The noun habitus generally means "appearance". The...
trivial - content: meaning pronunciation usage examples increase ...
intrinsic - content: meaning pronunciation usage examples increase and ...
- What is IIT and IIM
- How much does a fire engine cost
- Is the HDFC life insurance reliable
- What is PPL in digital marketing
- Who offers the best B2B mailing lists
- What do quasars emit
- What is Speech Comprehension Psycholinguistics
- Why shouldn't Fortnite be free
- How can you describe the word relation
- What colors together make brown
- Can Africans get a job in Malaysia
- Is Malaysia a friendly country
- Which countries were colonized by Portugal?
- Which devices are compatible with Netflix
- Why is divorce considered worse than death?
- How can I get another number SMS?
- Closing gun shops will reduce gun violence
- What is the importance of scientific papers
- Is there racism against Indians in Australia?
- Can you practice multiple sports in college?
- Lead Maggi to cancer
- Dark matter can have awareness
- What are the rules of Scrabble
- What is a gank while playing
- Smarties are vegetarians
- French fries are fast food
- How funny was Goedel
- How do we lie
- Abuse How does emotional manipulation work
- Can a diabetic patient take Testo Ultra
- Can become a homeopathic surgeon
- Is the CSB an exact translation of the Bible?
- Will the euro overwhelm the dollar in the years to come?
- When does Maharashtra become an independent country?