Where can I learn Mandarin in Delhi
Can I travel in India and only speak English?
I wandered around India a bit with my backpack - I grew up there, by the way - and still had to mostly use English to understand myself when I visited other countries. At least 22 languages are used in India. The strange thing is that even for Indians, English is often the link - the one language I was able to communicate in every part of the country I've been to.
Hindi is mostly useful in the northern and western regions of India. People will be much kinder to you even if you can speak basic Hindi phrases and are less likely to rip you off. Even so, it can be difficult to master correct pronunciation in Hindi. It's like learning Chinese - if you don't understand the sounds properly, you won't understand what "Chinese" means. While Hindi is not a tonal language per se, it does have elements where tone and stress play a role, unlike English.
If you are planning on getting off the beaten path into rural areas, I would highly recommend learning Hindi phrases and too to attempt to get the pronunciation right. People in cities can often compensate for incorrect pronunciations because they are used to it, but people in smaller cities are often not. In most situations, they will try to help you by finding someone who understands English.
In the southern parts of India - Bangalore, for example, as you mention in your itinerary - you will find fewer people able to speak and understand Hindi, and in addition to the regional language of the state, English is de facto the second language. Indeed, speaking in Hindi in the southern states can sometimes be viewed as an insult as it is viewed as "Northern India" imposing a foreign language on them.
Ankur Banerjee ♦
- Which army has the best special forces
- What are the denominations in socialism
- Will the Chinese yuan go up
- What is the importance of our house
- What is your blog idea
- Which business model is Instagram following
- Why don't I feel good after running?
- Can you survive if you only eat fish?
- Take Walmart breaks
- What do you have to do once in a lifetime?
- What is a human resource manager
- Why is there still poverty in America?
- What is AI-based marketing
- Why am I bad at mental math
- Dark matter affects the speed of the planet
- Long term relationship can work
- How could I predict the cryptocurrency market?
- What does the sea symbolize in literature
- Like living in Dubai for a European
- Why is Alberta generally conservative
- Have you ever been an exhibitionist
- What a smile do you have
- What are nutritional values
- Should we keep cooked food covered