How are you diagnosed with ADHD
Even if some adults were diagnosed with ADHD in childhood, there is still a large percentage who go undetected. Those affected have often gone through a long path of suffering - after all, there was no suitable explanation for certain behaviors and peculiarities. At the same time, the pressure is often great - relationships threaten to break up or job problems take over.
For many adults, the diagnosis of ADHD means one thing in the first place: a great relief and the basis for a new beginning or new treatment goals.
ADHD diagnosis: methods
Various methods are used to diagnose ADHD. These include:
- Anamnesis (interview to collect the medical history)
Possible questions are e.g. B.
- When did the symptoms (difficulty concentrating, impulsiveness, hyperactivity) appear for the first time?
- In which areas of life are the effects of ADHD symptoms apparent?
- Are there any known psychiatric illnesses?
- Do you take any medicine?
- Specific ADHD diagnostics
As a rule, special ADHD questionnaires are used as the basis for diagnostics. They help the patient to better assess his symptoms.
- Physical examination (to rule out other underlying diseases)
z. B. Examination of the thyroid gland, collection of blood values, EKG
- Conversations with caregivers
Consultation with the doctor with the partner and with a caregiver from childhood (the symptoms are often no longer remembered, but others can still describe particularities well); A look at primary school certificates is also often helpful.
- Carrying out special tests
Determination of cognitive performance and attention performance
As part of ADHD diagnostics, it is also important to identify other mental illnesses such as B. to exclude depression or addictions as a cause. Sometimes, however, ADHD can also be associated with another mental illness. For an individually tailored treatment, it is essential that all causal factors are recognized and included in the treatment plan.
Diagnosis of ADHD - what now?
For many adults, the diagnosis of ADHD means relief at first. Now you know where the problems originate!
The other good news: There are effective treatment options available today that can help you cope better with life with ADHD. Usually, various therapy modules are combined for this purpose.
Read more about treating ADHD here.
- What are the most terrifying scientific discoveries
- Loyalty is a virtue
- How can I buy bitcoins from Skrill
- Spelled Agatha Christie under a different name
- How it feels to be thin
- Why is the Facebook Ads platform so flawed
- What is your impression of China
- How long do guns and bullets last
- How should I deal with business competition
- Use MySQL to extract automated emails
- What are LSI Keywords in SEO
- Why is there light
- Why can't you use pencil in the room?
- Why is income inequality seen as a problem
- How are PET bottles recycled
- Do food trucks well
- Are pellet guns really not lethal
- Is good looking grammatically correct
- How much money do educational YouTubers make
- Is age important for sex?
- Is UNICEF a government organization
- Are Chinese people materialistic? If so, why
- Why do churches have bells
- What foods can cure a stomach ulcer?
- Why doesn't the sun have craters?
- How much does McDonalds make each week
- Is Java different from C.
- Accused presidents remain in office
- Why is xenophobia so bad in Ireland?
- Why don't people like technology
- You can search Quora for profiles
- Are Chinese people racist against blacks?
- Ugly people find love