Uber pays too much to their drivers
Over: The end of the taxi
contentRead on one side
For Uber drivers, who are officially called rental car drivers, none of this applies - or no longer applies. As of August 24, 2017, rental car drivers no longer have to take a local knowledge test. On that day, a driving license regulation came into force that allows them to drive without the local knowledge test. Unlike taxi drivers, rental car drivers always know where they are going and are not obliged to take the shortest route, explains the Federal Ministry of Transport and Digital Infrastructure when asked. Even before August 24, 2017, many rental car companies bypassed the test and set up their headquarters in places with less than 50,000 inhabitants. There is no local knowledge test in smaller towns. That is why you can often recognize Uber cars in Berlin by their license plates from the Brandenburg area.
Rule breaking and self-exploitation
Rental car drivers do not have to put fiscal taximeters in their cars, do not have to mark their car as a rental vehicle and are also not subjected to unannounced checks. The price is determined by an algorithm that is based on current demand.
But certain rules also apply to Uber drivers. One of them is the obligation to return. A rental car trip should actually go like this: A customer orders a rental car in advance using an app like "UberX". The intermediary - Uber - forwards this order to a rental company, which in turn forwards it to a driver. Depending on the time of the ordered trip, the driver would then drive from his company headquarters to the passenger, pick him up, drop him off and drive back to the company headquarters. This also means: rental car drivers are not allowed to be waved over and are not allowed to wait for a passenger in particularly frequented areas.
In fact, Uber cars are constantly mingling at the airport or in front of the clubs in Kreuzberg. You break the rules and exploit yourself to get good business. Some Uber drivers spend the night in their cars or drive 15 hours straight to earn enough. That is not controlled either. The competition between those who have always been there and the new ones is becoming increasingly fierce.Publishing offer
Abdurrahman A. saved a form on his computer. It says "there is a violation of the PBefG, Paragraph 49 Paragraph 4". All he has to do is enter the make of the car, the license plate number, the place and the time - and the report is complete for failure to comply with the obligation to return. "I put these kinds of advertisements in the various districts all the time," he says. It annoys him that the taxi drivers are so tightly controlled and the Uber drivers get away with it. But he hardly got any reactions. "I was hoping that the reports would be collected centrally, but for the authorities these seem to be all isolated cases."
Taxi drivers were heroes
Uber, a US billion dollar company based in San Francisco, has created a market that is barely regulated in Europe either. The company arranges motorists. Uber became the pioneer of the so-called gig economy, a new industry in which workers are usually paid per gig, i.e. per order: per trip, food delivered or cleaned apartment.
People who work in the gig economy often do so as a part-time, second or third job. Often the pay is so bad and the conditions so precarious that none of them can survive on their own. Deliveroo suppliers and Uber drivers are often students, newcomers, and seekers. Some do the job a few hours a day, others five times a month, the least full-time.
The taxi driver is completely different. Even driving a taxi may not have been a dream job for very few people from the start, but many remained it for their entire life and were able to support themselves, even a family, with it. The taxi driver was also surrounded by a myth: In Jim Jarmusch's film Night on Earth taxi drivers are heroes.
- What are the main disadvantages of government agencies
- Shared web hosting is SEO friendly
- How is the Euclidean distance calculated
- Can running help me get better?
- How powerful was J Edgar Hoover
- Why do humans never colonize Mars
- What healthy food should I never buy?
- Toe pain is a sign of diabetes
- What kind of students hate teachers
- Prefer Xbox or PlayStation
- How are thoughts processed
- Are black Americans racist towards white Americans
- What does infinite + 1 equal
- Are there Hare Krishnas in China
- What if Roman soldiers had weapons?
- Why are lawyers viewed as shabby?
- Where do you usually eat your meals
- How safe is our food industry
- How did the USA come to Hawaii i
- What's the cheapest site to buy Bitcoin
- Are Arabs black or white
- How do you dispose of bacon fat
- What is the most compelling UFO material
- How did Japan get rich
- What a childish thing you still like
- What are the basic skills
- What are some signs of good character
- How do computer programmers make money
- Removes sea salt negative energy
- Who is God, where is God
- What is the barrel for snails
- What are teenagers who are tired of hearing
- How important is sex in life 1
- The US economy is slowing down