What are the biggest problems in construction
Record-breaking: The largest construction projects in the world
The record holders in the construction industry
The tallest building
The largest building in the world is in Chengdu, China. The New Century Global Center is “only” 100 meters high, but spread over an area of 200,000 square meters an unimaginable 1.76 million square meters of floor space over several floors and levels. For comparison: the Sydney Opera House would fit 20 times in this building, the American Pentagon three more. This makes the New Century Global Center five times larger than the largest building in Europe, the Parliament Palace in the Romanian capital Bucharest with a usable area of 365,000 square meters. The largest building in the world has its own beach, a cinema with 14 halls, two five-star hotels, various shopping miles and a Christian church. It is remarkable that the building was erected in just three years.
The highest building
Currently (as of December 2014) the tallest building in the world is the Burj Khalifa in Dubai.
Opened in 2010, it measures an absolute height of 830 meters, of which 163 floors are usable. This means that the Burj Khalifa is around 2.5 times as high as the Eiffel Tower in Paris. During the preparatory work for the foundation in 2004, extensive pile tests were carried out, including one with a mass of 6,000 tons. The building stands on a 7,000 square meter, almost four meter thick reinforced concrete slab. A total of 180,000 cubic meters of concrete were used. The work took place around the clock in shifts with 2,400 workers each. But it goes even higher: In 2011, construction began on the Kingdom Tower in the Saudi Arabian city of Jeddah, which will measure 1,007 meters in 2018.
The largest pipeline
One of the largest construction projects in the world is currently underway in China and Russia. In September 2014, after almost 10 years of negotiations, both countries announced that they would jointly build a gas pipeline through Siberia. The project is expected to cost around $ 50 billion and give Russia more independence from the European market. The pipeline will be named Sila Sibiri (in German: The Power of Siberia) and will be around 4,000 kilometers long on the Russian side alone. From 2018 onwards, Russia and Sila Sibiri will send 38 billion cubic meters of gas to China annually.
The largest hydropower plant
The largest hydropower plant in the world (in terms of power output) is the Three Gorges Dam in China, in the Hubei Province. The installed power plant capacity is a gigantic 18.2 gigawatts. The structure extends for more than 2.3 kilometers including the ship lift and lock system. The dam owes its name to the reservoir, which stretches for more than 600 kilometers through three gorges. Hardly any construction project has been so controversial in recent years. Proponents point to the improved flood protection. Those who reject the project, on the other hand, argue with the disadvantages for flora and fauna and geological hazard potentials due to the structural measures. Construction began in 1993. In 2008, the last of a total of 26 turbines was put into operation. Originally, the project was supposed to cost $ 26 billion; it ended up being just under $ 75 billion.
- How unhealthy is smoking cigarettes
- Are moral people more gullible
- Are men with strong jaws more attractive
- What is the best government to have
- Can we ever build immunity against cancer?
- Which secret fascinates you and why
- Bad circumstances show our true character
- Why does dark matter not create black holes?
- Can companies refuse to provide service?
- What if every country attacked China?
- Which is the wealthiest African country
- How do Catholics see Mormons
- How is Discord different from Skype
- Is it Safe to Drink Melted Plastic?
- What is Donald Trump's impeachment
- What is the mass of the photon
- What is DiiDit
- When was D D created
- Why do charged and neutral objects attract
- How was your training today
- Have you cheated on someone
- What's interesting in robotics
- Is roulette set up or completely random
- What is Instagram Marketing
- What are the applications of differential equations
- Why is Catherine Herridge leaving Fox News
- How can I describe my feelings
- Fly safely to Frankfurt
- Why are stocks called stocks
- Why do hipsters gather in cafes
- Which business opportunities are often overlooked
- How do you feel about saving money