What is phishing mail
Checklist: How do I recognize a phishing email?
The following points can indicate a phishing email:
- You will be asked for confidential data such as passwords, PINs, TANs and other relevant access data in connection with the specification of your own account details.
- The emails are often written in HTML code. This can be recognized by the fact that the text of the e-mail is formatted with different fonts and font sizes, images (e.g. logos) are used and / or the background has a different color.
- The given link looks real at first glance, but on the second one recognizes from unusual or misspelled parts of the URL that it is a wrong Internet address.
- The other menu items displayed on the website to which you are directed do not work or generate error messages.
- There are grammatical and spelling errors in the email as well as on the website.
- Indications of changes to the accounting systems or software updates at online department stores such as Amazon or Ebay or at banks are a clear phishing warning signal.
- Often the e-mail also comes from a “strange” sender address or a copy (e-mail in copy (CC)) is sent to numerous other recipients.
- The email is not written in the bank's usual language.
- The email uses a non-personalized salutation such as “Dear Sir or Madam”.
- A clear warning signal is when there is a notice in the email that the data must be entered within a short period of time.
- If there are documents or other file attachments attached to the suspicious e-mail, extreme caution is required. You should not open this, as it may also contain malware that reads the passwords stored on the computer.
Sample screenshot for a phishing email that claims to come from Deutsche Bank.
Source: Author's email on July 25, 2011
- Have you ever been sentenced to death
- Which countries have the best street food
- You like to wear skirts
- Ulta has an affiliate program
- What are the treatments for obesity
- What year was the penny introduced?
- What does holy walls mean
- What two colors make a blue
- What is the highest known numerical value
- What is the key to spiritual enlightenment
- Are Italians racist
- What is the multiverse 1
- Why is Benjamin Franklin on dollars
- Is Tallinn racist
- What is effective customer service
- What is the time travel paradox
- How do I get my EIN 1
- Start-up costs for a solar installation business
- How is Alzheimer's disease currently being treated
- What is a truck tractor
- Can dark matter affect us?
- Islam hates western civilization
- Should work full-time students
- Will feminism be put on an equal footing