Why do people join the military today?
US military allows transgender recruits again
US President Joe Biden signed an order that "all Americans qualified to serve in the United States Armed Forces should be able to do so," the Washington White House announced. "President Biden believes that gender identity shouldn't be a barrier to military service and that America's strength lies in diversity."
The White House said, "Allowing all qualified Americans to serve their country in uniform is better for the military and better for the country." The armed forces are more effective when they are inclusive. "To put it simply, it's the right way and it's in our national interest."
Trump excluded transgender people
Transgender people are people who do not - or not only - identify with the gender that was noted at their birth. With Rachel Levine, Secretary of State in the Department of Health, Biden has nominated a transgender woman for such a high post in the US government for the first time.
US President Joe Biden appointed Dr. Rachel Levine as Secretary of State in the Ministry of Health
Former US President Donald Trump banned transgender people from serving in the armed forces in August 2017, in turn reversing a decision made by his predecessor Barack Obama. Trump cited the rationale for the highly controversial move that the military could not be burdened with the "enormous medical costs" associated with serving transgender people. He had called for more studies at the time to ensure that transgender people did not inhibit military effectiveness, destroy cohesion, or strain military resources.
Civil rights activists welcome the decision
Federal courts had initially stopped Trump's plans. However, the Supreme Court ruled in January 2019 that the ban can come into force until a decision by the appellate courts. The ACLU civil rights movement, which welcomed Biden's decision, was among the plaintiffs against Trump's plans. "This is an incredible victory for our clients and sends the message that transgender people not only belong in our armed forces, but also in our country," wrote the ACLU on Twitter.
The civil rights movement Human Rights Campaign thanked Biden for the action. The US armed forces would put qualification over discrimination again, it said in a statement.
nob / uh (afp, dpa, rtr)
- How a picture is created on the water
- What kind of music is this song
- What is the average salary of a mathematician
- What's your rating of Accra Ghana
- What happens after someone signs a lease
- Can God and suffering both exist?
- How much does an NBA referee earn
- Is there a platform with white lettering
- How can I make money without investing
- Why is Canada so expensive
- What is obesity and its causes
- In which dimension does information exist
- Why do I feel worthless
- I would study better at night
- What is Christmas Day for you
- How many Julius Caesars were there
- Why are farmers known to be hardworking
- How do music fees work
- Gives peace of mind to money
- What is pulp manufacture
- Politics is good for students
- Can a TB patient recover
- What should never change in Islamabad Pakistan
- Which country has the weakest military