Top home remedies for heartburn (c) auremar - fotolia.com
It occurs when stomach acid is pushed up and gets into the esophagus, where it has a corrosive effect on the mucous membranes. One reason is often that the sphincter muscle between the stomach and the esophagus no longer closes reliably, which is why older than younger people are more likely to suffer from heartburn.
But heartburn can also become a nuisance during pregnancy, especially since medication can only be taken with caution during this time.
If heartburn becomes chronic, a doctor should be consulted to clarify the cause and avoid long-term damage. Temporary heartburn, on the other hand, is usually harmless, but still very annoying.
But there are various home remedies that can help with heartburn. Proplanta has put together the best and most proven tips.
10 tips for heartburn
1. Certain Teas are considered a tried and tested home remedy for heartburn. Medicinal plants such as chamomile, fennel, sheep, ormennig, anise, caraway, ribwort or liquorice root are useful here. However, the latter should not be consumed over a long period of time.
2. Also a herbal remedy: three to four Juniper berries chew and then spit out.
3. Healing earthin powder or capsule form is good help in the fight against heartburn. Since the excess acid is only bound to the large inner surface of the clay particles (antacid), healing earth is also recommended for pregnant women.
4. Many people swear by it Baking soda or Bullrich's salt. Baking soda is alkaline and neutralizes excess stomach acid, so you will soon feel better. You add a teaspoon of baking soda to a glass of water and drink it in small sips. However, the consumption of baking soda should be kept within limits overall: stomach acid does not have a low pH value for nothing, it is necessary for the digestion of food.
5. Well worth a try: chew some slowly Hazelnuts or almonds and swallow the porridge.
6. Potatoes are also considered a home remedy for heartburn: the juice of raw potatoes can bind excess stomach acid. You can either chew a piece of raw potato or get potato juice from the health food store. Then drink 1/8 liter of it in small sips 10 minutes before meals for a few weeks.
7. Freshly squeezed ones should also have proven themselves Carrot juice. One drinks a shot glass full of carrot juice as a preventive measure before every meal
8. If you suffer from heartburn, especially during the night, you shouldn't go to bed with a full stomach Raise the upper body a little higherso that stomach acid does not flow easily into the esophagus.
9. There are also certain foodthat many people with heartburn do not tolerate well. These include, for example, fatty foods, citrus fruits, fruit juices, carbonated drinks, hot spices, legumes, smoked products, peppermint and fresh bread. It is often worthwhile to find out whether doing without certain dishes brings relief.
10. Many Luxury foods boost acid production. Alcohol, coffee, black tea and chocolate should only be consumed in moderation if you are prone to heartburn. Smoking should also be restricted.
All information is provided without guarantee, use is at your own risk. (proplanta)