What is a pecan pie made of
Shoofly Pie is a traditional Pennsylvanian-Dutch dessert. High in molasses and a sweet and simple crumb top, this decadent cake is a one-of-a-kind indulgence. We love topping this Shoo Fly Pie recipe with whipped cream or vanilla ice cream!
Italian beef sandwich recipe with Giardiniera
Shoofly Pie might not be one of the most iconic cakes in the world, but it's very popular here, where I grew up near Amish country in southern Pennsylvania. This is a sticky-sweet cake that's baked in a pastry crust with a sticky (almost cake-like) bottom and a grumpy, crumbly topping.
What is Shoofly Pie? Why is it called Shoo Fly Pie?
Shoofly pie is an Amish and Mennonite favorite dessert that can be prepared with pantry staples that you likely have on hand. While it may not be as well known as other classics like Apple Pie or Key Lime Pie, if you give this recipe a try, you'll find that this Shoofly Pie recipe deserves a spot in your recipe box too.
how to cut a spiral cut ham
Shoofly Pie is sticky and rich in molasses flavor. It is best served warm and even better when topped with ice cream or ice cream, with whipped cream!
Nobody knows exactly why it's called Shoo Fly Pie. Folklore is that the sweet molasses attracted flies since the cake was baked and left to cool in the open air.
What is Shoofly Pie made of?
Shoo Fly Pie uses simple, healthy ingredients. The star of the show is molasses, and you most likely have all of the other ingredients for shoofly pie on hand. You'll need a pie crust, of course, and the filling has a delicious combination of molasses, brown sugar, and warm spices like cinnamon and nutmeg.
How to make shoofly pie
Making Shoofly Pie:
- Start with a pie crust. You can make your cake crust recipe or buy pre-made cake batter.
- Make the crumb coating in a food processor.
- In a separate bowl, combine eggs, water, and molasses.
- Alternately layer the crumb mixture and the molasses mixture into your pie crust.
- The molasses mixture is liquid and absorbs a large part of the crumb topping. However, you want to layer the wet and dry ingredients as directed. This will help ensure that your shoofly pie gets the right texture.
- Bake until the shoofly pie is firm, then let it cool completely before slicing and serving.
More cake recipes to try out
lazy man stuffed cabbage crock pot
How does Shoo Fly Pie taste?
Shoofly Pie has a distinct taste of molasses. While the molasses flavor is somewhat mellowed by the crumb mixture that is layered into the cake, it's still very present and those who don't like molasses won't enjoy shoofly pie. This is a very rich and very sweet cake, and the taste reminds me of an extremely moist gingerbread.
Does Shoofly Pie need to be refrigerated?
While you can Cool your shoofly cake, it doesn't need to be chilled and is very well stored on your countertop. Shoofly Pie should still be covered and can be kept for up to 5 days.
Shoofly PiePrep TimeFifteenLogCooking Time40LogCooling TimeTwoHoursTotal Time55LogPortions10SlicesAuthorSamanthaHow to Make Traditional Pennsylvania-Dutch Shoofly Pie! A simple and classic recipe from Amish land! Print pen
- Unbaked pie crust
- ▢1½cups all-purpose flour (185 g)
- ▢⅔Cup of dark brown sugar tightly packed (133g)
- ▢1 teaspoon of cinnamon
- ▢¼ teaspoon salt
- ▢¼ teaspoon ground nutmeg
- Cut 6 tablespoons of cold unsalted butter into tablespoons large pieces.
- ▢½ teaspoon baking soda
- ▢¾cup of hot water
- ▢¾cup of molasses
- ▢1 large egg yolk, room temperature
Difference between tomato and marinara sauce
- Preheat the oven to 220 ° C, roll out the pie crust and place in a 9 ½ 'cake pan. Put aside.
- Mix the flour, brown sugar, cinnamon, salt and nutmeg in a food processor¹. Pulse briefly to combine.
- Sprinkle butter evenly over the flour mixture and pulse again until the mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Put aside.
- In a separate bowl, stir together baking soda and hot water until the baking soda has dissolved. Add molasses and whisk until well mixed, then stir in egg yolks.
- Pour about half of the molasses mixture into your prepared pie crust. Top with about half of the crumb mixture, then on top with the rest of the syrup mixture, and finally evenly with the remaining crumbs (everything seems very runny and the ingredients don't hold nice, clean layers, but don't skip this step!).
- Put in a 220 ° C oven and bake for 15 minutes. After 15 minutes, reduce the oven temperature to 175 ° C and bake for another 20 to 25 minutes. By the time the cake is set, the center may still look a little wobbly, but it should feel good again.
- Let the cake cool completely before slicing and serving.
Recipe notes¹If you don't have a food processor, you can use a cookie cutter and cut the ingredients together by hand.
Nutritional informationServing: 1 slice, calories: 341, carbohydrates: 56G, protein: 3G, fat: elfG, saturated fat: 5G, cholesterol: 37mg, sodium: 198mg, potassium: 426mg, fiber: 1G, sugar: 33G, vitamin A: 235IU, Calcium: 76mg, Iron: 2.7mg
(The nutritional information provided is an estimate and will vary depending on the cooking method and brand of ingredients used.)Tagged Amish Dessert Recipe, Authentic Shoofly Pie, Shoo Fly Pie, Shoo Fly Pie Recipe, Shoofly Pie RecipeCourseFootCookedAmerican © SpendWithPennies.com. Contents and photos are protected by copyright. Sharing this recipe is both encouraged and appreciated. Copying and / or pasting complete recipes on social media is strictly prohibited. Please read my guidelines for using photos here.
- Where is Quanzhou
- Should America End Poverty If so, how
- Who uses MailChimp
- How can cyberbullying be prevented
- Can you eat cancer
- Why do you hate Dr. Zakir Naik
- What's Draco Malfoy's bastard
- Why does Singapore not have Miranda rights
- What is a taboo for you
- Why is American Chinese food so great
- What does locust mean in the Bible
- Why do bodybuilders use steroids
- Why do sad people do happy things
- Can drinking water harm us
- Any 1 Website Builder Apps
- Can you describe god
- What counts as poor hygiene
- Is affiliate marketing real
- Why is KFC so expensive
- How is the ranking at FMS DU
- Is violence a new form of nationalism
- Who are surgeons who remove a gallbladder
- What were Demeter's personality traits?
- How to calculate _ + _ + _ + 30