How do I ban people on Roblox
Parents guide you to Roblox and how your children can play it safely
Roblox has been a huge hit with kids around the world, despite being an odd looking and often confusing game. At least for parents.
Like Minecraft before it, its appeal to teens is due in part to the fact that mom and dad don't understand. That makes it all the more exciting, but it can also lead to security fears. After all, much of Roblox is played online.
There are plenty of Roblox rumors, scary fake stories, and false advice on social media and even in newspapers demonizing the game. However, children can play it safely and entertainingly with little supervision and understanding.
That's why we've put together a quick guide to help you understand what makes Roblox so popular and how to make sure your kids don't get any nasty surprises.
What is Roblox?
Roblox is an online game development system where most of the content is created by "amateur" game developers. These game makers can use simple tools to create games and publish them to the community. And that means they can try out ideas that wouldn't be funded for commercial release.
These games can then be played by children worldwide, often together online, via a phone or tablet application, or a web browser.
Games like "Prison Escape", "Work in a Pizza Place", "Shark Attack" or "Disaster Survival" offer a playful opportunity to experience adult-like scenarios in fast, socially played competition rounds.
Roblox games reflect the kind of imaginative games that you often find in the playground. One child has an idea for a game, others join in, and the rules slowly change as the group decides how they want to have fun together. Roblox developers can quickly update their games to suit the needs of the large gaming community.
This ever-changing and expanding library of games is a big part of Roblox's popularity. Combine this with the millions of other players to take on challenges and you have the perfect recipe for teenagers.
However, as with any online game, there are a few dangers to be aware of which we will get into now.
Roblox age ratings
Because the content in Roblox is user-generated, it is not subject to the same strict age ratings as commercial company content. Roblox itself is rated PEGI 7 in the UK, with the rating details specifically stating that there is no blood.
The VSC, which manages the legally binding PEGI ratings, states that the rating only covers the base system and some sample games. The same applies to other areas, with the ESRB in the US taking a similar approach.
Roblox itself filters and reviews the games that are created for both inappropriate images and profanity. However, games that may have horror, murder, or bloody themes are still allowed. In a game we tried, Hotline, Roblox tasked players with knocking each other over with guns or knives before hitting each other on the head until they died with splattered blood.
The best solution for this is to specify the account restrictions in the linked Roblox account. This limits the playable games to those selected by Roblox itself. Note, however, that setting the age of a child under 13 doesn't limit the games they can access.
In-game Roblox purchases
Although Roblox's actual game is free, children are encouraged to shop for real money in-game. Children can buy Robux for cash, which is then spent on equipment and outfits in the games.
Make sure you track and password protect credit cards on your systems so that no unexpected purchases are made. This commercial aspect of the game is worth discussing with your child before they play.
All the games work just fine with no additional content, but at the same time offer gamblers an opportunity to spend money as this is how the game makers benefit from their creations.
Roblox parental controls
There are other parental controls that can be used in the game to make sure Roblox is extra safe for younger players. Well worth checking out the Roblox website for a guide.
First of all, it is important that you enter the correct date of birth on your child's account. This triggers the corresponding secure chat with a higher filter level. It also means you get a separate parent login so you can review your child's interactions.
You should limit games to those curated by Roblox staff as follows:
- Log in to roblox.com
- In the top right, click the gear icon
- Select Settings and then Security
- Activate the Account Restrictions slider
Monitoring your child's account
Roblox offers several ways to monitor account activity. While logged in, you can view the following histories in the related sections:
- Direct chat and chat in small groups (Chat & Party function in the lower right corner of the apps). There you can see individual chat histories. This feature is limited to friends and friends of friends.
- Private Message History (Messages)
- Friends and followers (friends)
- Purchase and trade history for virtual items (My transactions, browser only)
- Creations like games, items, sounds, ads, etc. (create, browser only)
- Recently played games (Home, Keep Playing or My Recent)
Roblox online interactions
Being an online game means that players in Roblox can interact and communicate with one another in a number of different ways. This can be done by voice or text once friend requests have been made.
It's easy to limit these interactions to settings for your account:
- Log in to roblox.com
- In the top right, click the gear icon
- Select Settings and then Privacy
- Limit interactions through content settings and other settings
You should note that this will not disable friend requests in Roblox. For this reason, it is important that you check the "Friend Requests" page on the site to ensure that strangers are not accepted.
Roblox on Xbox
A few years ago Roblox game on Xbox. How Parental Controls work on Xbox is slightly different from how it works on a PC, Mac, or tablet.
Although Xbox has friend request controls, Roblox does not restrict them as they are considered a different type of "in-game" friend. However, the Microsoft Game Maker Terms of Service mean that gamers won't be able to make new friends while playing on Xbox. You will only see friends who have already been created on the PC, Mac or tablet.
In addition, you can further limit interactions with other players on Xbox by doing the following:
- Select the Account Settings page
- Identify the linked account
- Apply restrictions for this account through roblox.com.
- Toggle cross-platform gameplay on / off to limit who your kids can play with (Note: Roblox does not currently support cross-platform messaging, so Xbox players cannot send messages to players on other platforms.)
Roblox Police Warnings
Hopefully this should clarify exactly what Roblox is and how you can keep your kids safe while they are playing. The last thing to mention is that the amount of tweets, Facebook posts, emails, and school gate rumors about police nudity and in-game nudity warnings have not come from Kent Police as widely reported.
The real danger is getting parents to ban the game and close the opportunity for healthy and helpful conversations about appropriate online behavior. As always, the best way to reduce any of these risks in your family is to play the game together, and keep devices and consoles in common family rooms.
- What last fantasy should I play?
- What is found in a diet
- Why do some people dislike the military
- Why are my answers not being read
- How much does Trump's PhD earn
- Is the Amazon market profitable
- What is the definition of life 6
- How does lead generation work easily
- How long will IFTTT stay free
- May the people of Singapore
- What's the best view from your home
- Why do firefighters make so much money
- Which is the best compact vacuum cleaner
- What is brisk walking
- What does Augustus Caesar remember
- How do 1500m runners train
- What is DC in a port
- Who has had success with Joomag
- How do you say goodbye 1
- How do Americans deal with imperial units?
- Do Bollywood actresses compromise?
- When did the players go into hiding in netball?
- Who are Facebook's competitors
- Which social media are the most dangerous?