Have English phonemes names
English phonetic transcription translator and pronunciation dictionary
Here for the first time?
Watch the tutorial "How to convert text to phonetic transcription and listen to audio recordings"
Watch the tutorial "How to Create Custom Word Lists"
Number of words in our English pronunciation dictionary
|Mike||American English||20,000 words|
|Lela||American English||10,000 words|
|Jeevin||American English||3,700 words|
|Andrew||British English||9,400 words|
Are you learning or teaching English?
We know that English can seem complicated at times. We don't want you to waste your time.
Check out our tools and learn English faster!
Greetings from the developer Timur:
Find Out How To Activate Your Brain And Learn Faster (4 min)
Timur Baytukalov. A complete guide to language learning
Part 1. Learn pronunciation
Phonetic transcription can help you improve your English pronunciation
English pronunciation can be very confusing. As you know, there are no strict ones Pronunciation rules in the english language. So if you come across an English word you don't know, you won't know how to pronounce it. Same english letter, or the same combination of letters, can be pronounced in different ways in different words. In addition, it can be the same english word be pronounced in different ways by native English speakers from different countries, or even from the same country! This is what makes English such a difficult language to learn and understand. But you're not afraid of trouble, are you?
This translator enables you to write English texts using the characters of the International Phonetic Alphabet (IPA) in Phonetic spelling to convert.
This tool is presented to you as a English pronunciation guide serve and save a lot of time. You will no longer have to search for the pronunciation of a word in a dictionary. If you regularly use phonetic transcription in conjunction with English sound and video recordings, you will quickly improve your English pronunciation and listening skills.
Homographs (Words with the same spelling but different meanings and pronunciation) are highlighted in light green. If you move your mouse over such a word or tap it on your mobile device, you will be shown all possible pronunciation options. The part of speech is also often shown to you.
Pronunciation variants (if a word is pronounced differently by different native speakers or if the pronunciation changes when speaking quickly) are highlighted in light blue. You can also hover your mouse over it to see all possible variations.
To get the phonetic transcription, choose one of our four dictionaries:
- British English phonetic transcription dictionaries compiled from various sources. It contains more than 110,000 words. The homographs (more than 1,000 words) and pronunciation variants (more than 4,000 words) are fully supported in this dictionary.
- CMU Pronouncing Dictionary (American English) contains more than 110,000 words. The homographs (more than 200 words) and pronunciation variants (more than 8,000 words) are also supported.
- Moby Pronunciator (American English) contains 117,000 words. The homographs (380 words) are supported, pronunciation variants are not. Please note that the phonetic transcriptions for some proper names in this dictionary were generated automatically and not proofread by a person.
- American English phonetic transcription dictionary compiled from various sources. It contains more than 140,000 modified word forms. Support for homographs and pronunciation variants will be available soon.
You can read more about these dictionaries in this post and find download links for some of them.
A special option allows you to to highlight very commonly used English words. You can either use the Use word frequency list that is on the Corpus of Contemporary American English based, or the word frequency list based on subtitles. The words from different frequency intervals are marked in the colors as follows:
If you want to perform a frequency analysis of your text and generate detailed statistics, please use the English word frequency counter.See ours English phonetic translator for subtitlesto get something like this:
English Phonetics - Online Resources
Updates to this phonetic transcription converter
Audio recordings of 9,400 English words
We are pleased to announce that we have added audio recordings of 9,400 English words to our English phonetic transcription translator on EasyPronunciation.com. Users with an active subscription will receive this update for free! To get the recordings ...
Audio recordings of 10,000 English words
We are pleased to announce that we have added audio recordings of 10,000 English words to our English phonetic transcription translator on EasyPronunciation.com. Users with an active subscription will receive this update for free! To get the recordings ...
More video recordings in phonetic translators
If you're learning English, French, or Russian, we have great news for you! We decided to integrate all video recordings from our pronunciation courses into online phonetic translators. That's MANY words ...
Audio and video in the phonetic translator for English
There's great news with the English Phonetic Translator. After submitting your text, you will see an audio or video icon next to some of the words. Click on the audio icon and ...
IPA table for American English
For the past few weeks I've been working on updating the English phonetic translator algorithm, again! :) There will always be something to improve. As always I have ...
An important update for the English Phonetic Translator
I haven't written anything here for a long time. And there was a reason for that. For the past three months I have been working non-stop on the English phonetic translator. I have about two ...
WordNet dictionary integrated in English phonetic transcription converter
There is a new update to the English phonetic transcription converter. I have integrated the WordNet lexical database into the converter. After you've entered your English text, you can now click any ...
British English support for the English phonetic transcription converter
I finally added an option that allows you to convert English texts to phonetic transcription using British English pronunciation rules. Now you can convert English words from ...
Possibility to display the phonetic transcription under each line of text
I've added the ability to display phonetic transcription under each line of text on the English, French, and Spanish converters ....
Updates to the English phonetic converter
I updated my English phonetic transcription converter. First, I added more common English words. Second, I introduced a different algorithm for text conversion. The new algorithm uses the English ...
Search for posts
Alphabetical list of all words with audio and video recordings
a B C D E F G H I J K L M O P Q R S T U V w x y z
- Which places on earth are currently uninhabited?
- Which SAS software is used by actuaries
- Why are English accents attractive
- What is travel blogging
- Is matter continuous or discrete
- What are some cheap hacks for useful life
- Can you sharpen a knife with stones?
- Why can't God speak for himself?
- What question would you ask inmates?
- Can white men fall in love with black women
- How to buy and sell bicycles
- What's the matter with snares
- Why do Americans like to travel to Europe
- Titan burns why
- What if Arya had killed Cersei
- The 2019 general election will be online
- What is the origin of light
- What is influencer marketing for you
- Mo is a Scrabble word
- Why is Australia buying Japanese submarines
- How can I get first place on Google
- Which wristwatches have a great resale value?
- What typical sound do you love
- How much do Go Jek drivers earn