How do stingrays sting
Stingrays: Wanted poster in the animal lexicon
The stingray (Dasyatis) belongs to the family of the stingrays (Dasyatidae). They got this name because of their long tail with a poisonous sting. There are over 70 different species of these fish.
General information about stingrays
The stingray is very flat and mostly diamond-shaped. It is wider than it is long. Some species can be up to two and a half meters long and almost three meters wide. These fish have long, whip-like tails. There are one or more poisonous spines on it. Unlike most fish, they don't have scales, but rather rough skin with tiny teeth. The gills, i.e. the respiratory organs, are just like the mouth on the underside of the fish. The eyes are on the top.
What does a stingray eat?
Stingrays eat small marine animals such as fish, crabs, worms, snails and clams.
How does a stingray live?
These animals live predominantly on the sea floor. Some species prefer shallow water near the coast, others live at a depth of thirty meters. There are freshwater and saltwater species. Freshwater rays are found in South America in the Paraná and Amazonas rivers. The saltwater rays live in the Pacific, Indo-Pacific, South Atlantic and the Mediterranean.
Unlike almost all other fish, stingrays do not lay eggs. They are viviparous. The young do not develop in egg shells, but directly in the uterus.
Are stingrays at risk?
The stingray is threatened in many places by marine pollution and overfishing. Man takes his food from him by catching fish. Not all stingray species are equally at risk.
What is special about stingrays?
The special and at the same time dangerous thing about the stingray is the poisonous sting. With this he defends himself effectively against enemies. The sting is very painful because there are barbs on the stinger. It can cause serious injuries and it can also be fatal to humans. The Australian wildlife filmmaker Steve Irwin, for example, was stabbed right in the heart and died. One should not get too close to these animals and rather look at them from a distance as a diver.
- Scientific name: Dasyatis
- Length: up to 2.5 meters
- Width: up to 3 meters
- Habitat: Amazon, Paraná, Mediterranean, Pacific, Indo-Pacific, South Atlantic
- Diet: small marine animals such as fish, crabs, worms, snails and mussels
- Do we really need money to survive?
- Which is the best school in VJD
- What are some outfit ideas for jeans
- How do we get good grades
- What is health and fitness
- Does Quora really care about false names
- Western tourists visit Indonesia
- Has someone married their middle school love
- What does PS really mean
- In which countries tipping is considered impolite
- Should I get married in my early 20s
- Is money a discrete or continuous variable
- Why do people join the military today?
- How powerful is Ghana in Africa
- Why don't people like widows
- How to stop sandbag balls
- Why is Seven considered an unfortunate number
- Are seedless grapes GMO
- Addressing target groups improves advertising
- How are hypochondria treated
- How do I get Oyo discount coupons
- What is a symbol of the salvation of life
- Let us observe our mental states
- Why do firefighters make so much money
- What are go-to-market strategies
- Which onions taste better raw?
- What are the market segmentation levels
- What is analytical chromatography
- How powerful is the world breaker Hulk
- What is the difference between Arminianism and Lutheranism
- How popular is acupuncture in China
- What are near field microphones
- Where can I buy a Steam console
- Were the Celts or Vikings better warriors?