How many foreigners have come to China?
China and the foreigners : After the entry ban comes xenophobia
This is a good time to recall how fiercely China fought against other countries' entry bans in February. This is against the recommendations of the World Health Organization (WHO) scolded China's ambassador to Switzerland. "We need science and not rumors, we need solidarity and no stigma," Li Song said at the time. His ambassador colleague in Israel compared the entry ban for Chinese people there with entry bans for Jews fleeing during the Holocaust. He later had to apologize for it. But now there is a country that clearly exceeds these first bans - and that is China itself: Since Saturday, foreigners have generally been banned from entering the country.
The Chinese government has suspended the validity of visit, residence or work visas for all foreigners until further notice. The few exceptions apply to diplomats and “important business trips”, that is, to guests who are systemically relevant for China. The entry ban also affects all Chinese overseas who now have other passports and therefore need a visa to enter China. They don't come into the country like this either.
China justifies the ban with the fact that the vast majority of new infections with the Sars-Cov-2 virus were recently brought in from outside, i.e. by people entering or returning. Experts express great doubts that there have actually been no new infections recently. The Chinese Ministry of Health also gave in on Monday and is now counting infected people without symptoms, namely 1541. But the business magazine Caixin doubts the official death rate for the Wuhan epicenter. According to his projections, 40,000 urns have been delivered there in the past few weeks, the government puts the number of dead in Wuhan at only 2548.
For some Chinese, nationalism is paired with xenophobia
But the danger - this image now conveys China's propaganda - comes from outside. For some Chinese, growing nationalism is now paired with xenophobia. Hotels in China's metropolises have not been accepting foreign guests for weeks. The "long noses" who are still in the country are also avoided in public. Sometimes people demonstratively turn away in the elevators or move around in the subway when a foreign-looking person gets on, more expats living in China report.
The government does not help, on the contrary. Foreign Office spokesman Zhao Lijian spreads conspiracy theories that the virus was first introduced to Wuhan by the US military. Or the widespread video in which a Chinese woman from Australia went jogging in China without a mask and did not comply with the curfew or the mask requirement. It shows how little people who come from the “West” adhere to the regulations in China. She was expelled from the country and fired from her international employer in China. Most recently, the state media exploited the story of a woman who, knowing that she had the coronavirus, traveled to China because she could not have paid the treatment costs in the USA.
Up until now, western foreigners in particular have generally been well received in China. If you believe long-time China connoisseur Johnny Erling, who up until last year worked as a correspondent for various newspapers in Beijing for over forty years, then the good reputation of Germans in the country has declined over the years even before Corona. In private and behind the scenes, many critical Chinese believe that the Covid-19 crisis is playing into the hands of isolationist tendencies around state and party leader Xi Jinping. "Xenophobia is legitimized by Big Brother," writes one person on WeChat.
- Why are sheets green 1
- What is a wonderful thing
- What do cows think of people
- What is the recovery of health insurance benefits
- How do I understand permutations and combinations
- What is the best browser Chrome or Firefox
- Why do people ignore requests for help
- Why can't food brands contain medication
- What is the goal of surgical research
- What is 2 + 2 + 2 + 3 + 3 + 3 + 4
- What are some scientifically unexplained everyday observations
- Why did you choose homeschooling?
- Can you go without money
- Tee brand Nerf darts are good
- How do you aim a nerf gun
- How can you prove that 3 1
- What does it mean to travel alone
- How valuable is it to eat healthily
- What two characteristics make up an isosceles triangle?
- What is business for consumer electronic commerce
- Can a 19 year old drink PediaSure
- What do you think of gene therapy
- How many pages are on all forms
- What can be a symbol of sensitivity
- How does Discord Nitro work
- How does Discord Nitro work
- How am I supposed to study physics now?
- You Can Die From Alzheimer's Disease
- Which country has a free visa
- Is white rice good for health?
- Which Roman wars were the most violent
- How are Amazon products
- How effective is online dating in Singapore
- How do I get a unique brand