Why is multilingualism a problem
Language acquisition from multilingual families
Does your child have difficulties with dual language acquisition?
- if you are concerned about your child's language development
- if you are unsure about the languages
- if your child has problems communicating in kindergarten, for example
- if your child refuses to speak.
1. The second language acquisition takes place gradually after acquiring the mother tongue:These are children who only come into contact with their parents' mother tongue in their first few years of life. You only begin to learn German as a second language when you enter kindergarten.
Important principles for this:You should continue to speak to the child in your native language despite the imminent enrollment. Because if your knowledge of German is limited, your child would adopt mistakes in pronunciation, sentence structure and vocabulary from you and would have to “relearn” everything in school. Because in principle, the mother tongue is not an obstacle to the process of learning German. Rather, the acquisition of a second language can proceed more quickly if the acquisition of the first language has been able to develop undisturbed, because important linguistic foundations for the acquisition of the second language have already been laid. In principle, the child should never be forbidden (e.g. in day care centers) to speak their mother tongue, because the language, the associated origin and culture should be respected by everyone. In addition, it is even a hindrance if the acquisition of the mother tongue is stopped by a ban due to a delay in language development.
2. The child learns both languages in parallel from birth:This is the case, for example, if the child's parents come from different nations and consistently speak to the child in their respective mother tongue. This is why one speaks of “double acquisition of the first language”.
Important principle:The easiest way for a child to learn both languages is to associate each of the languages with a person. So the rule is: one person - one language. If both languages are then taught equally well and with the same intensity and if there is a good relationship with both languages (and parents), they can both be learned equally safely. During this process, language mixes can occur in the child, which is not a cause for concern.
How you can support your multilingual childThe unrestricted (and never to be forbidden) development of the mother tongue is not only essential as a basis for the acquisition of a second language, but also has decisive effects on the development of thinking, personality and identity. The very first bonds, such as those with parents and other caregivers (e.g. relatives or friends of the parents from the same cultural area as they come from), arise through the mother tongue. Basically, the ability to learn and speak several languages is a great opportunity, especially in today's multicultural society. The culture area can be selected later or, depending on the workplace, it can be of considerable advantage to be able to speak both languages and to have precise knowledge of other ways of life. In most cases, the process of double language acquisition for children is completely problem-free. But this is not so easy for some children. They need special support from their parents and possibly also speech therapy help. There is also a general consensus in science that bilingualism is not the cause of language disorders.
Parent counselingA speech therapy treatment first of all includes a detailed consultation with the parents, in which I can pass on basic tips to them on how to make language acquisition easier for your child.
Do you still have questions about dual language acquisition?
I would be happy to inform you!
- What is your Halloween costume with little effort
- What is the concept of nature
- What is your most controversial opinion about relationships
- Singaporeans go to school all week
- Is the CSB an exact translation of the Bible?
- How do you survive an epidemic
- Who is your favorite Instagram model
- Why was Christianity so successful
- How can you delete a Blogspot account?
- How do I make a free mobile app
- How are affiliate websites called?
- What is longevity
- Would you like to advertise a product
- How do I restore replacing WordPress versions
- How many schools are there in China
- What is 115 of 8
- How many digits is there in a million
- Can a Nigerian be employed in Malaysia?
- Asian men like black girls
- What do the people of Arunachal Pradesh eat
- Why do women hide their breasts
- How is CPM and CPC CPA calculated
- Why do people become ignorant
- Can I get my marketing email