Heliotrope is toxic to cats
Beware, these plants are poisonous to cats!
There are many plants that can be poisonous to cats. This includes both Wild plants as well as Garden and house plants. You can find many of the plants harmful to cats in the list below. However, the list does not claim to be complete. Therefore, always find out exactly before you get a new plant whether it can be poisonous for cats and other pets. Especially indoor cats tend to take a close look at everything new.
Seasonal danger of poisonous plants for cats
Some plants and cut flowers are particularly popular over the course of the year, and they are even offered in supermarkets. However, cat owners need to be extra careful before installing a new plant.
Be careful especially in spring and summer
These plants are particularly popular in spring and summer - but they are poisonous for cats!
- Goblet primrose
- Christmas rose
- Hyacinth (and grape hyacinth)
- Daffodil / Daffodil
Be careful especially in autumn and winter
These plants are particularly popular in autumn and winter - but they are poisonous for cats!
- Christmas rose
- Christ thorn
- Christ palm
- Lucky clover
- Chinese lantern flower
- Christmas star
Plants that can be dangerous to cats
The abbreviation Z means indoor plants and G means garden ornamental plants. All unmarked plants are cultivated or wild plants.
Poisonous plants with the letter A.
- Adonis spp.
- Agave (Z)
- Aglaonema (Z)
- Aloe species (Z)
- Cyclamen (Z)
- Amaryllis (Hippeastrum) (Z)
- Ampelkraut (Tradescantia spp.) (Z)
- Pineapple (Z)
- Anemones (Z)
- Asparagus (Z)
- Azalea (Z)
Poisonous plants with the letter B.
- Tree friend syn. Philodendron (Z)
- Begonias (Z)
- Belladonna lily (Amaryllis belladonna) (Z)
- Barberry (Berberis vulgaris)
- Mountain laurel (Kalmia latifolia) (G)
- Common broom (Cytisus scoparius) (Z)
- Wisteria syn. Wisteria (G)
- Flower bulbs
- Bow hemp (Sansevieria spp.) (Z)
- Boat plant (Rhoeo spp.) (Z)
- Bromeliad (Aechmea spp.) (Z)
- Brunfelsia (Brunfelsia calycina) (Z)
- Boxwood (Buxus sempervirens) (G)
- Colored leaf (Caladium spp.) (Z)
- Coleus hybrids (Z)
- Bear Claw (Heracleum spp.) (G)
Poisonous plants with the letter C.
- Calla (Zantedeschia aethiopica) (Z)
- Christ thorn (Ilex aquifolium) (G)
- Christmas rose (Helleborus niger) (G)
- Chrysanthemum (Chrysanthemum, Tanacetum) (Z)
- Clematis species (G)
- Clivia (Z)
- Cotyledon (Z)
Poisonous plants with the letter D.
- Dieffenbachia (Z)
- Dipladenia (Z)
- Umbel or pseudo-vine (Ampelopsis brevipedunculata) (Z)
Poisonous plants with the letter E.
- Mountain ash (Sorbus aucuparia) (G)
- Ivy (Hedera spp.) (Z)
- Efeutute (Epipremnum pinnatum) (Z)
- Yew (Taxus baccata) (G)
- Single leaf (Spathiphyllum floribundum) (Z)
- Monkshood (Aconitum napellus) (Z)
- Angel's Trumpet (Brugmansia) (G)
Poisonous plants with the letter F.
- Window leaf syn. Monstera (Z)
- Sedum spp. (Z)
- Foxglove (Digitalis purpurea) (Z)
- Flamingo flower (Anthurium) (Z)
- Flaming Käthchen (Kalanchoe spp.) (Z)
- Hard-working Lizzie (Impatiens spp.) (Z)
- Women's or Venus shoe syn. Orchid (Z)
- Fuchsia hybrids (Z)
- Foxtail syn. Nettle beautiful (Z)
Poisonous plants with the letter G.
- Honeysuckle syn. Honeysuckle (G)
- Geranium (Pelargonium spp.) (G)
- Poison juniper (Juniperus sabina) (G)
- Yellow herb syn. Broom (Z)
- Gorse (Cytisus laburnum) (G)
- Shiny bulbs (Aphelandra squarrosa) (Z)
- Wisteria (Wisteria sinensis) (G)
- Laburnum (Laburnum) (G)
- Gold trumpet (Allamanda cathartica) (Z)
- Green lily (Chlorophytum spp.) (Z)
- Rubber tree species (Ficus spp.) (Z)
Poisonous plants with the letter H.
- Honeysuckle (Lonicera spp.) (G)
- Heliotrope (G)
- Hen-with-chick syn. Piggyback Flower (Z)
- Autumn crocus (Colchicum autumnale) (G)
- Hydrangea (Hydrangea spp.) (Z)
- Piggyback flower (Tolmiea menziesii) (Z)
- Hyacinths (G)
Poisonous plants with the letter I.
Poisonous plants with the letter K
- Coffee tree (Coffea arabica) (Z)
- Imperial bindweed (Ipomoea violaceae) (Z)
- Cacti (Z) Gunflower (Pilea spp.) (Z)
- Cat tail syn. Nettle beautiful (Z)
- Piston thread syn. Aglaonema (Z)
- Coralberry (Nertera depressa) (Z)
- Crocus (Crocus spp.) (G)
- Croton (Codiaeum) (Z)
Poisonous plants with the letter L.
- Lance rosette syn. Bromeliad (Z)
- Tree of life syn. Thuja (G)
- Privet (Ligustrum vulgare) (G)
- Laurel cherry (Prunus laurocerasus) (G)
- Dandelion (Taraxacum officiale)
Poisonous plants with the letter M
- Madagascar palm (Pachipodium) (Z)
- Lily of the valley (Convallaria majalis) (G)
- Stonecrop syn. Sedum (Z)
- Mistletoe (Viscum album) "Monstera (Z)
Poisonous plants with the letter N
- Nightshade family (Solanum species)
- Daffodils syn. Daffodil (G)
- Nettle beautiful (Acalypha spp.) (Z)
Poisonous plants with the letter O
- Oleander (Nerium oleander) (G)
- Daffodil (Narcissus pseudonarcissus) (G)
Poisonous plants with the letter P.
- Cycad (Cycas revoluta) (Z)
- Passion flower (Passiflora caerulea) (Z)
- Pfaffenhütchen syn. Spindle bush (G)
- Philodendron spp. (Z)
- Morning glory syn. Imperial winds (Z)
- Purple Tute (Syngonium podophyllum) (Z)
Poisonous plants with the letter S
- Sadebaum syn. Poison Juniper (G)
- Schefflera (Z)
- Opium poppy (Papaver somniferum) (G)
- Snowberry (Symhoricarpos albus) (G)
- Snowdrop (Galanthus nivalis) (G)
- Iris syn. Iris Daphne (Daphne mezereum) (G)
- Silver areas, austral. (Grevillea robusta) (Z)
- Spindle bush (Euonymus europaeus) (G)
- Balsam syn. Diligence. Lizzie (Z)
- Thorn apple (Datura stramonium) (G)
- Holly syn. Christ thorn (G)
- Cranesbill syn. Geranium (G)
- Ray aralia syn. Schefflera (Z)
Poisonous plants with the letter T.
- Tobacco (Nicotiana tabacum) (G)
- Thuja (G)
- Deadly nightshade (Atropa belladonna)
- Funnel winch syn. Imperial winds (Z)
- Tulip (Tulipa gesneriana) (G)
Poisonous plants with the letter U
- African violets (Saintpaulia ionantha) (Z)
Poisonous plants with the letter V.
- Vanilla flower syn. Heliotrope (G)
Poisonous plants with the letter W
- Clematis syn. Clematis (G)
- Lantana camara (G)
- Water tendrils syn. Ampelkraut (Z)
- Water shrub syn. Hydrangea (Z)
- Poinsettia (Euphorbia pulcherrima) (Z)
- Sweet peas (Vicia)
- Spurge species (Euphorbia spp.)
- Miracle shrub syn. Croton (Z)
Poisonous plants with the letter Z
- Ornamental hops (Beloperone guttata) (Z)
- Ornamental peppers (Capsicum spp.) (Z)
- Ornamental pepper syn. Ornamental peppers (Z)
- Ornamental asparagus syn. Asparagus (Z)
- Room maple (Abutilon spp.) (Z)
- Indoor aralia (Fatsia japonica) (Z)
- House linden (Spamannia africana) (Z)
- Cotoneaster species (G)
- Dwarf pepper (Peperomia spp.) (Z)
Warning of tea tree oil
Cats with tea tree oil poisoning are repeatedly presented in veterinary practices. Symptoms range from tremors, restlessness, and staggering to weight loss. Since cats have difficulty breaking down the terpenes and phenols they contain, tea tree oil should never be used on cats and should generally be avoided in the cat household.
- How do I survive IB
- Why does China treat dogs so badly?
- Are there any beneficial aspects to piracy
- Which is the most expensive liquid in the world
- How do I fix a stiff neck
- Which is better HubSpot or Constant Contact
- What is the definition of 1 volt
- How difficult is IB
- What is cruelty to animals
- What is the scope of the French language
- How much do kestrels cost
- Which stores sell guns in Oregon
- What makes a good resume in 2019
- How can I unlock Android phones?
- Why are fat people more beautiful
- How do Americans see refugees
- When is treason a patriotic act?
- Can God and suffering both exist?
- How ignorant can people be
- Why do we celebrate Haryana Diwas
- How much does a crore cost in GBP
- Vitamin C helps with colds
- What is 2 + 2 + 2 + 3 + 3 + 3 + 4
- Is time machine possible 2