What is worse anorexia or obesity
"Common sense? | Lagerfeld: Better anorexic than fat?
His models were just clattering down the “Chanel” catwalk at Paris Fashion Week. But the discussion about madness in the fashion circus leaves Karl Lagerfeld (79) completely cold.
"Obesity is much more dangerous than anorexia and bad for your health," said the designer king on the British TV show "Channel 4 News".
Is Karl completely gaga now?
But he followed suit, etching curvy women: “I don't like fat models on the catwalk. But I'm afraid there will be more of them in the future. ”He himself weighed 102 kilos: twelve years ago, Lagerfeld was on an extreme diet and only ate 800 calories a day. The fashion czar starved himself 42 kilos in 13 months.
Is that really healthy, or is King Karl lacking "common" sense?
• According to the World Health Organization (WHO), 16 million people in Germany are overweight. According to calculations by the Hamburg health economist Alexander Konnopka, 36,600 people die every year as a result of being overweight. That is 0.2 percent annually.
• According to the Federal Statistical Office in Germany, 6300 people in clinics were diagnosed as anorexic in 2010. 82 people died as a result of the eating disorder. That is 1.3 percent annually.
Overall, around 15 percent of anorexic people ultimately die as a result of the disease, according to the German Institute for Nutritional Medicine and Dietetics (DIET).
Lagerfeld's steep thesis cannot be explained statistically:
It is true that more people are affected by obesity. It's not as deadly as anorexia, though.
With an overall death rate of 15 to 20 percent, anorexia promptsmore fatalities than any other psychiatric or psychosomatic disorder.
Of course, the long-term consequences of being overweight are also unhealthy and promote diseases such as cardiovascular diseases. But this is no reason to dismiss anorexia as harmless or even to ignore it. In addition, the question arises, what exactly does Lagerfeld mean by "thick" ...
Carolin Martinovic, sociologist and head of the Eating Disorder Therapy Network in Munich:
“Such statements have a big influence on girls. In 90 percent of our consultations, girls name models and stars as ideal of beauty and therefore have the feeling that they are not pretty, thin and good enough because they do not correspond to this ideal. Of course, several factors come together in the development of an eating disorder, but the media role models play an important role. "
Why are eating disorders becoming more widespread among adolescents?
“Today, children and young people are under great pressure to perform, be it through school, planned leisure time or social networks such as Facebook, where comparisons are constantly made. Many develop eating disorders as a strategy to deal with these stresses. Food becomes an addictive substance, an addictive substance that is always available. In the case of binge eating, food first provides consolation; in the case of anorexia, control causes feelings of happiness - and it also helps to achieve the ideal of beauty that is everywhere in the media. "
What role does society play?
“We live in a society that extremely rewards being thin. Those who lose weight are praised and encouraged to find an “easy” way to get recognition. Many girls think in crises - such as lovesickness - that this would not have happened if they had conformed to the ideal and project everything into their supposed external inadequacies. Because those who embody the ideal - models and celebrities - seem happy, strong and successful. "
PS: Are you on Facebook? Become a fan of BILD.de-Lifestyle!
- What is gangstalking
- Can love really last a lifetime 2
- What surprised you about Turkey?
- Graphic design can be a career
- Calcium causes heart disease
- There are large online second-hand stores
- What does a brand strategy consultant do
- What are the basics of love sex
- Tourists are often robbed in Paris
- Is yahoo answers bad
- Children still give each other nicknames
- How many votes does Illinois have
- Why don't churches have to pay taxes?
- Who is an intelligent person
- Why is it difficult to start saving
- How common are Ancestry DNA tests failing
- Paul Dirac is the best physicist of all time
- What is representation learning in deep learning
- Why do companies have income differences?
- Where do grapes grow naturally?
- What are the energy sources
- What is salesmanship
- How much does Trump's PhD earn
- Eats Caesar salad healthy