What is the deadliest profession
These are the most dangerous jobs in the world
Bomb defuser, demolition master or tiger tamer? According to statistics, the most dangerous jobs in the world are completely different. However, these have different approaches. How high is the meaningfulness of the most popular evaluations?
There are certain risks in every job - although some jobs are more dangerous than others. We looked at two statistics and spoke to an expert about their informative value.
The most dangerous jobs in the world
In 2016, the U.S. Department of Labor Statistics (BLS), Center for Disease Control (CDC), Occupational Safety and Health (OSHA) pooled their own data as well as that of various trade organizations to identify the world's most dangerous jobs. It turned out that many industries can be dangerous: Both the health sector, as well as transport, agriculture, the public service and, above all, the construction industry.
Overall, the evaluation resulted in the following ranking:
Deaths: 135.9 *
Injuries: 2,449 *
- Deep sea fishermen
Deaths: 86 *
Injuries: Not published
- Pilot / aircraft engineer / aircraft mechanic
Deaths: 55.5 *
Injuries: 466 *
Deaths: 48.6 *
- Garbage man
Deaths: 34.1 *
Injuries: 2,702 *
Deaths: 25.1 *
Injuries: 2,158 *
Deaths: 24.7 *
Injuries: 2,828 *
Deaths: 23.1 *
Injuries: 28 *
- construction worker
Deaths: 18 *
Injuries: 1,060 *
- Harvest workers
Deaths: 17.4 *
Injuries: 1,316 *
* Figures per 100,000 workers
The statistics show how many workers worldwide died while doing their job.
The most dangerous professions due to long-term effects
In this list, however, the long-term health effects that can occur due to the occupational activity were not included. Because a lot of work causes a lot of physical wear and tear, explains Jörg Feldmann, press spokesman for the Federal Institute for Occupational Safety and Health, t-online.de. For example, tilers in old age often have severe pain and restricted mobility of the spine and knees.
The long-term effects usually only show after several years or at an advanced age. In part, the high health risk can be represented here by the number of workers who receive a disability pension. If the long-term health consequences are included, the following ranking results:
- Miner (jobs in mining in general)
- Meat and sausage manufacturers
- Screed layer
- Plasterer, plasterer
- Demolition master / person authorized to demolish
- Construction workers
- Stevedores (dock workers who help with loading and unloading)
In these trades, accidents at work and occupational diseases can occur, which make it no longer possible to carry out a professional activity and possibly also lead to premature death.
In addition to the long-term health effects, another factor also plays a role in the problem of such an evaluation: the number of workers who carry out this activity. The magazine "Compensation and Working Conditions", which had already tried in 1997 to make a statement about the deadliest professions in the world, named the job description of the elephant trainer to illustrate the problem:
- There is only a small number of workers known as elephant trainers in the world. If a trainer is killed while working with an elephant, this greatly increases the number of deaths within the occupational group. In the evaluation of the deadliest occupations, however, this activity is not listed due to the small number. If, on the other hand, there are no deaths, the number drops to 0, which would make the elephant trainer profession one of the safest jobs.
- The job title elephant trainer is very variable. It can be carried out by animal keepers on the one hand, but also by artists and performers on the other. Again, these occupational classifications include other workers who do not deal with elephants.
In addition to the long-term effects, one should also pay attention to the proportionality of the statistics. What is certain is that with certain precautionary measures you can prevent certain occupational diseases and reduce the health risks in your job.
- Affiliate Marketing is saturated
- What is the most profitable niche in copywriting
- Should I join a brotherhood
- What should everyone know about manipulation
- Can you eat lemon peel
- How do you keep grapes fresh longer?
- What are some of the most creative killer kills
- Is Rahm Emanuel Orthodox
- Why do people dislike weak people
- Quint Media is anti Hindu
- Where do British citizens vacation most often?
- Why don't people like widows
- Can China's economy outperform the US?
- How do you measure cardiovascular health
- Has anyone ever seen an unsolvable sudoku?
- Light shows its dual nature at the same time
- How do sailing boats go against the wind?
- What is a cryogenic engine
- How is a product sold
- What is the most famous bubble tea
- Is Singapore LGBT friendly
- What are the symbols of elements
- Why has alternative medicine become more popular
- What types of submarines should Australia have
- Is my friend a hypochondriac
- What do Africans eat 1
- What is your favorite card game
- Is a decimeter bigger than a millimeter
- Are nicotine chewing gums harmful to your health
- Can non-doctors open a pharmacy
- Is Northumbria University good for international students
- Digital marketing increases e-commerce sales
- How is light created 3
- Can a US Army soldier be suspended?