What is degradable or biodegradable
Bioplastics: what is the difference between bio-based and biodegradable?
Bioplastics often cause confusion among consumers: what is it? How much organic is there really? How do I have to dispose of packaging films made of bioplastics? And what is the difference between bio-based and biodegradable plastics? We have summarized the most important things.
The new plastic is organic - or is it?
In fact, bioplastics used to be common practice: until the 1930s, plastics were made from renewable raw materials. It was not until the Second World War that fossil raw materials such as crude oil or natural gas were used instead. Today, attempts are being made to go back to the original type of plastic production - on the one hand to conserve fossil raw materials and on the other hand because they harm the climate.
Not all organic products are the same!
According to DIN EN 16575, the term bioplastic has two possible meanings:
Bio-based and biodegradable packaging - that's inside
- Packaging films made of bio-based plastics mostly consist of plants rich in starch and cellulose (maize, miscanthus, sugar cane) as well as oilseeds or wood.
- Packaging films made of biodegradable plastics are made from thermoplastic starch, cellulose, degradable polyesters and polyactide (PLA), some others from petroleum.
Bioplastics and the fallacies of recycling
Everything for the bin?
Because the bio-based films are usually not biodegradable at the same time and would have to be sorted out in the composting plant, this packaging is allowed under no circumstances in the brown organic waste bin be disposed of. Instead, like any other film packaging, it must also about the yellow bin be disposed of.
For reliable and fast composting of biodegradable films, certain requirements are necessary, which are only possible with one industrial composting can be achieved. With classic composting, the humidity and temperature conditions are insufficient, so that film residues would still be left in the finished compost.
Because there is so far only a few compostable packaging, disposal in separate composting facilities is usually neither possible nor sensible. Even if it seems logical to actually dispose of compostable films and products in the brown organic waste bin, this solution is currently not recommended from an ecological point of view. It is therefore currently only the usual way about the recycling garbage.
What does industrial composting mean?
The standards for industrial compostability are based on the conditions of a large-scale composting plant. Only under these conditions - if the Temperature high is (well above 60 ° C) if the Air humid is and everything is constant mixed so that enough oxygen comes in - bioplastic films can be broken down quickly and reliably. Many composting plants, on the other hand, work on a shorter, sometimes only six-week rhythm. That means: the organic waste has to break down into its components more quickly.
When is packaging industrially compostable?
Complete biodegradability is considered to be proven if biodegradation of at least 90% in less than 6 months takes place. To check this, samples of the test material are composted with organic waste for 3 months. The final compost is then sifted through a 2 mm sieve. The mass or residue of the test material with dimensions > 2 mm got to less than 10% the original mass.
A pilot-scale composting test will verify that it is no negative effects on the composting process gave. A plant growth test (OECD 208 modified) and other physico-chemical analyzes are applied to the compost in which the test material has broken down. In this way it can be determined whether there are low concentrations of heavy metals (below the specified maximum values) and that there are no negative effects on the final compost.
Look for existing certifications
What remains? Advantages of bio-plastics
Bio-based plastic films
Further information on the subject of bioplastics can be found here:
We would be happy to advise you and find the right product together:
Mon - Fri 7.30 a.m. - 6 p.m.
Tel. 0800 - 8995 000
Shop ID: lp121
Shop ID: fm100
- Which Roman emperor killed his brother?
- Why do honeycomb cells have a hexagonal shape
- Are heart disease and CVD the same?
- What are core walls
- Will aspirin get rid of pregnancy
- Light experiences a time dilation
- What kind of hairdresser are you
- What questions can I ask an interviewer?
- Is MailChimp better than constant contact
- Should other nations trust China
- Why do questions ask questions
- Which is poisonous but cannot kill people
- What is the origin of light
- In general, Americans are racists towards non-Americans
- How do you develop a healthy mindset
- What are exponents
- How can Singapore's economy improve
- May girls be spoken to by strangers
- How do I earn marketing with LinkedIn
- Can you define sadness without writing anything
- Which is the best online shopping
- How harmful are cigars compared to cigarettes
- Which websites are blocked at your school?
- Why is Quora Browse gone
- Will my girlfriend get obese
- How do I say in English
- What are some interesting math interview questions
- Who makes money with Quora
- What is the best diet for vegetarians
- What is Category Theory 23346
- What is the dimension less physical quantity
- What are the books in your library
- Are women better listeners than men?