What is a cryogenic engine
GSLV MK2 versus Falcon 9 - reasons for big differences in performance
There are many factors that affect the mass a launcher can put into orbit. In this case we need to consider not only the thrust of the first stage, but also its efficiency, measured in rocket science as a specific impulse (I. sp ), which indicates the energy that an engine can extract from a certain mass of propellants.
According to Wikipedia, the first stage of the GSLV MkII has a very low I due to the use of a solid fuel motor sp (237 s), while the boosters have a slightly higher I. sp (262) which is still quite low for liquid motors. For comparison: the Merlin 1D motors of the Falcon 9 Full Thrust reach a speed of 282 seconds.
In addition, the side of the GSLV MkII indicates that the first stage burns for 100 seconds, while the strap-on boosters burn for 160 seconds. This means that for the last 60 seconds of their combustion, the four liquid boosters carry the housing of the first stage, which has become a sheer dead weight.
A look at the take-off mass of both vehicles gives us another reason: Falcon 9 The full thrust takes off at 549 tons, while the GSLV MkII weighs 414 tons. We don't know the exact fuel mass fraction either, but most rockets have around 90 mass% fuel at launch - the GSLV just carries a lot less fuel than the Falcon 9 FT
- Is it easier to travel alone
- Why is Australia buying Japanese submarines
- Which measuring system is used at NASA?
- Does the interest rate extension work in Facebook ads
- Who is better Kanye or 50 Cent
- How can I unsubscribe from this spam
- Is a little more grammatically correct
- Do food trucks well
- What do psychologists think of personality tests
- What kind of business can not be successful online
- Why is light influenced by the space-time curvature
- How do Americans deal with imperial units?
- Why did you almost leave Quora
- How does a boat work
- Which products are never offered for sale
- Which is Delhi's best restaurant
- What is paradoxical about the St. Petersburg Paradox
- Gravity attracts photon particles
- Can light be bent by gravity
- What does a brand strategy consultant do
- What are popular gifts for Mother's Day
- What are the best Middle Eastern dishes
- Which countries accept British refugee documents?
- How many liters are 2 5 liters