Which countries were colonized by Portugal?
Hanisauland: Lexicon @todo: from Preprocess
Colonialism / colonies
Subjugation of other countries
Over the past 200 years, many European states have subjugated countries in other parts of the world. These countries could not defend themselves against the overwhelming power of the Europeans and became so-called colonies. This policy of conquest is known as "colonialism". The term comes from the Latin word "colonia", which means "settlement outside the Roman citizen area".
Exploitation of the colonies
The countries were often only subjugated because the conquerors wanted to have the treasures of the foreign countries for themselves. It could be gold or diamonds. Spices, tea, coffee, tobacco or fruit were also bought for little money in foreign countries and then sold for a lot of money in their home countries.
The first colonies were conquered by the great seafaring nations Great Britain, Spain, Portugal, France and the Netherlands. Germany, which did not belong to the great seafaring nations, had few colonies in Africa and Asia for a short time (until the end of the First World War). Spain, on the other hand, had large colonies in Central and South America and England in Asia and the Middle East. The colonies were administered by German, French, English and Spanish officials.
Consequences of colonialism
The people who lived in the colonies were subject to foreign rulers and often had no rights of their own. Until the outbreak of the First World War in 1914, more than half of all people in the world lived in colonies. Only after the end of the Second World War in 1945 did the European states gradually give up their colonies again, so that these countries became independent. Many of them still suffer from the fact that they were ruled by foreign states for so long.
FAQ / Frequently Asked Questions
(Frequently Asked Questions - this is the English translation of "frequently asked questions")
your further questions ...
Write us your question
Before asking a question, please read the lexicon article in full. Please see if anyone has already asked the same question. Often you will find the answer to your question there.write us
- Which serial killer has never been caught
- What is H1 Tag in SEO
- Where are the Deccan traps
- Is it illegal to buy essays?
- Why am I screwing up everything
- How did you spend your day today
- Are there speeds in the black hole
- What was the ball tampering incident
- How many people have died from skydiving
- Why do jalapenos give me heartburn
- What is the VCC voltage
- There are downsides to pesticides
- Who led the Eastern Roman Empire?
- What is a business plan 3
- You can even win in the online casino
- Like many businesses, Donald Trump started
- What are some creative breakfast foods
- Are fast foods really harmful to your health?
- How often should blue spruce be watered
- Who has a crush on your celebrity 1
- Dogs understand the value of money
- Which was the most fascinating civilization
- Which country has the worst looking people?
- What is the importance of fasting on Monday