How words became expletives
A Expletively (das) is an unnecessary filler word for the sense of a sentence. Such a word has no influence on the truthfulness of a statement and is usually stylistically out of place in written language. However, serve in the spoken language Expletive to an improvement of the speech rhythm and, if necessary, allow conclusions to be drawn about the mood and posture of the speaker.
If you compare the two sentences, for example
Your television is very big.
Your TV is on but very large.
both express that the speaker thinks the television is very large, i.e. the key message remains unchanged. The second sentence, however, sounds surprised or puzzled.
Further examples of such filler words are: well, yes, to a certain extent, even, halt, eh and connections such as “but also”.
The term Expletively finds its origin in Latin explere (to complete).
Subscribe for free and learn a new foreign word every day
Receive the word of the day every morning with our free newsletter. You can unsubscribe at any time. Your data will not be passed on to third parties for advertising purposes.
More interesting words:
Precariat - In politics and sociology, precariat is understood to be a part of the population ...
Tu quoque - Tu quoque, taken from Latin, means "you too" or ...
Pleonasm - A pleonasm (the) is a rhetorical phenomenon that is caused by multiple ...
contradictory - The adjective contradictory means "contradicting one another" and can be used in ...
Attitude - The educational noun Attitüde (die) describes the (inner) ...
- Are gynecologists really busy doctors
- How many pennies weigh 200 g
- What things make people snobs?
- How is your relationship with food
- In which countries do people eat horses?
- What is the dimension less physical quantity
- How can I resell SaaS products
- What's greater than 0 5
- Does the military have bulletproof tents
- Why do dogs whine and groan annoyingly
- Christmas is a popular holiday in Iraq
- Why do we make money
- How much money is 0 09
- Have you ever declined an inheritance Why
- What role does water play in digestion
- What was God's first message to you
- How serious is ADD in adults
- What is a macro in C ++
- Are there Singaporeans who support Trump
- What do Americans think of the Chinese?
- How do turtles find their food
- How can the universe expand faster
- Which currency is used in Germany?
- Elon Musk has children
- Why do I not understand myself
- What is the basic meaning of marketing
- Who is your favorite Instagram model
- Is it an option to be physically healthy?
- Why is Mexico so dangerous
- When was the first printed currency used?
- Why is there still poverty in America?
- Is Islam against Hinduism
- How can I make myself meditate?