When did Romans become Italians?
“In history class, there is a lot of talk about the vast Roman Empire. But then - rum - it suddenly fell apart and all Romans are called Italians. Where did the ancient Romans go? "
That's really strange - the school lectures for hours about the successes of the Roman Empire, and then it breaks down into a subordinate clause ...
But no - the Romans wouldn't let themselves get down that quickly. In reality, it took centuries for their rule to end. The decline began at the latest when the empire broke up into a Western and Eastern Roman Empire in 395 AD - the latter still in existence until 1453.
Internal conflicts led to its downfall
What wrecked Rome were internal conflicts that are astonishingly familiar to us today: economic difficulties, growing bureaucracy and unbridled decadence. In addition, there were foreign policy problems: migrations of peoples weakened the long borders of the empire, to whose protection the Romans also recruited foreign soldiers who demanded less wages - low-wage workers, so to speak. But they weren't nearly as reliable as the original Romans and often went over to the enemies of the war. Thus Roman power visibly waned and the empire fell apart.
But what happened to the ancient Romans, who lived scattered from present-day Portugal to Syria? Did they all push back to their capital, Rome (which is why the streets are so overcrowded and the traffic is so grueling)? Or were they just renamed Italians overnight?
Of course not. Many ancient Romans were no longer real Romans for a long time. The recruited foreigners, called barbarians, mostly wanted to return to their homeland quickly after the fall of the Roman Empire.
Many stayed where they were: ancient integration, so to speak. Apart from a few amphitheater ruins (and influences on the European language, literature, philosophy ...) there is not much left of the Roman Empire. Real Romans can only be admired in their capital.
Have you never understood something? Send your question to FOCUS-SCHULE, Arabellastr. 23, 81925 Munich or by email to: [email protected]
Online coupons for your family
- What is upwork coms monthly income
- What do you think of topless sunbathing
- How much is a meter
- How difficult is investment banking
- What is the power of words
- What do you think about male chastity
- What is an alternative treatment for ADHD
- How are you feeling these days
- Is Fortnite more popular than Minecraft
- What is gold in Hokkien Chinese
- How can I understand Schrodinger's wave equation
- Donald Trump could be charged with high treason
- What is the best 25 caliber pistol
- How many countries have no elections
- What is a positively skewed distribution
- What does a nation's GDP depend on?
- What is road alignment
- The ban on people on Quora should be banned
- What makes a narcissist happy?
- Trump is being blackmailed
- Why do dogs have to die
- Why does Pakistan not accept Rohingya Muslims
- What is a Birmingham painting
- Are songs like poetry in some way