Why does mayonnaise taste bad
Why doesn't mayonnaise taste like pure oil?
Starting from the Basics: Mayonnaise, as you know, is a combination of water-based liquids, water-soluble ingredients, and lipids (fats / oils). Since water and lipids are immiscible, mayonnaise is one emulsion .
Since the fat droplets suspended in an emulsion are not actually dissolved, the properties of this emulsion depend entirely on the size these droplets and theirs Dispersion from . The most likely reason your mayonnaise tasted like oil is because it at some places actually around pure oil traded.
The technical term for this is Flocculation .
(Source: Cube Cola)
This is probably what happened to you - it is possible that if you have one, you will really had poor dispersion, were even closer to the "coalescence" stage.
To use a more specific example, consider what happens when you dissolve flour or cornstarch in cold water and then heat it. The starch will gelatinize and you will get a fairly even, thick paste. Now think about what happens when you throw it in hot water. You will tend to have something that is not uniform, instead you will have large amounts of cooked flour floating around in thin, cloudy water.
Remember that the chemistry of an emulsion completely is different - in fact, there is technically no chemistry with an emulsion until emulsifiers come into the picture - but the concept is the same. Possibly can you Don't see those lumps of oil floating around in the water as well as the flour lumps, but if you haven't got the right distribution and suspension, they're there and they taste just like you would expect a globe to taste of pure oil.
Traditional mayonnaise uses raw egg yolks (containing lecithin) and mustard (containing slime), both of which act as emulsifiers. These are mainly referred to as "emulsifiers" because they help make the emulsion stable remains, which is why the store-bought mayonnaise does not separate (it probably contains some additional additives as well). However, they're not all that helpful in achieving this initial dispersion. The most efficient way to do this is to small drops of oil to let in a liquid that is stirred constantly and evenly .
You can do this by stirring, but an even better way is to use a hand blender with an emulsifying blade. Note that this neither is the flat venting blade, often confused with the emulsifying blade, nor the star-shaped liquefying blade that is the default setting on most sticks, and many manufacturers confusingly refer to an "emulsifying" blade. The one you want looks a bit like a hubcap. It's flat with multiple slots or holes and is sometimes referred to as the "smoothie blade" or "whisk blade":
(The one I'm talking about is bottom left)
These things are Perfect for preparations like mayonnaise, but if you don't have one, you can get halfway decent results using a whisk. You just have to use a lot of elbow fat.
If you can get a really good dispersion and use enough emulsifiers so that the emulsion doesn't separate too quickly, then I promise your mayo won't have that "greasy" taste and is 1000 times better than store-bought goop.
- When does the lobster season in Texas end?
- Narcissists feel empathy as children
- How can people fly to North Korea
- How does LDL cause hypertension and diabetes
- Is the standard model complete
- Can I trigger bipolar hypomania?
- What is the sleepiest Pokemon
- How are submarines recognized
- Which causes gold to stop responding
- Which ad network pays off the most?
- You could smoke through your nose
- Was it a bad idea to make money up?
- People are usually nice as they seem
- Why don't you chase your dream
- How do you get healthy and fit
- Is humility overrated
- How do I become a sissy
- Hong Kong is a developed city
- How do I promote my website 3
- Which top brands rank according to customer loyalty
- Will there be a recession in the US?
- Is math everywhere
- How to say mom in Mandarin
- What is Gig Economy Professional
- Where is the largest Starbucks in the US
- American culture is American
- What do you think about poverty
- Diet Coke can cause diabetes
- When do the Japanese eat sushi
- How much money is five pence
- What are some examples of normal force
- What is good for smokers
- What's your favorite beef dish
- What is managed WordPress hosting