Why was Burma renamed Myanmar
Burma, Burma or Myanmar?
The official name of the Southeast Asian country is Pyidaungsu Thamada Myanmar Naing-Ngan-Daw, Union of Myanmar.
Several times in history the country has changed its name from Burma to Myanmar and back again. Both words denote the largest population group, the Bamar, in their own language (Burmese). 'Myanmar' has existed since the sixth century and comes from the written language; Bama, from which the English word 'Burma' is derived, is the colloquial expression and is more widespread in the population. In Burmese the syllable means Myan 'fast', the syllable Mar 'strong'.
On June 18, 1989, based on Law No. 15/89, the "Adaptation of Expressions Law", the military junta officially designated the country as Myanmar. This was intended to distance oneself from the colonial era. The city of Yangon was also renamed Yangon, and numerous other place names were changed. The democratic opposition under the long imprisoned Aung San Suu Kyi was against this renaming carried out by the dictatorship and advocated keeping the name Burma.
However, the UN and numerous other states followed the instructions of the junta and adopted the name Myanmar immediately after it was proclaimed by the military. The USA, Australia and numerous states and NGOs, on the other hand, stuck to the name Burma as a sign of their rejection of the regime.
The term 'Birma' is the Germanized variant of Burma. (red)
- How can you inspire your children
- Is Donald Trump's mental health stable?
- Singaporeans take religion seriously
- How do I construct a confidence interval
- How did you get to know your partner 2
- What are the examples of synecdoches
- What are frequently asked interview questions
- How do mainland Chinese immigrate to Taiwan
- How much energy does dark matter have
- What are the basics of building construction
- Who led the Eastern Roman Empire?
- Why is Adderall hard to prescribe
- Fat people can become pilots
- How much money can bloggers make
- What is a software license
- Why is the United States so religious
- The Romans were racist
- Should we promote Quora
- What if Mercury suddenly disappears?
- What is digital marketing 32
- Will the GBP USD reach dollar parity?
- Why is number three so important
- How can social media help increase sales
- What indicates high CBC hematology