Vegetarians get cheating days
10 facts about the vegetarian lifestyle
International "World Vegetarian Day" is celebrated on October 1st. Year after year, this day is a reminder of the benefits of a meat-free lifestyle. We have gathered ten facts about the vegetarian lifestyle. It's VEGGIE-TIME!
On World Vegetarian Day, the VEBU (German Vegetarian Association) offers a comprehensive overview of current figures and developments.
1. The typical vegetarian
According to the vegetarian study by the Friedrich Schiller University Jena, the typical vegetarian is ... female, young, well educated and lives in a big city.
2. How many vegetarians are there in Germany?
There are now seven million vegetarians living in Germany, around 8-9 percent of the population. At least 800,000 people are vegan, and the number is rising. According to a study by the Society for Consumer Research (GfK) in Nuremberg, the number of people living as vegetarians has increased more than fifteenfold since 1983. At that time only about 0.6 percent of the population followed a vegetarian diet.
3. Boom in vegetarian products
Vegan and vegetarian foods from soy schnitzel to fruit gums without pork gelatine are conquering more and more shelves in German supermarkets. According to a study by the Gesellschaft für Konsumforschung (GfK), sales of meat substitute products and vegetable spreads have almost doubled in the past five years.
4. Restaurants and cafes
Purely vegetarian restaurants are springing up like mushrooms at the moment.
The lush green is now one of the most famous vegan restaurant chains in Düsseldorf. In the three branches in Flingern, at Graf-Adolf-Platz and at the Medienhafen, it can also happen that you "accidentally" do without animal products.
When it should be sweet: A coffee chat with dear friends - that is also vegan in Düsseldorf. One of my favorites for this is this Carrot Cake (Moltkestrasse 75). The lovingly decorated cakes and tarts are always freshly baked, and you can taste that too.
The green lily (Weyertal 15, Cologne) is not a fad of the veggie boom. Owner Elke Paliantis has been cooking down-to-earth dishes here from market-fresh organic ingredients since 1986 without a lot of frills.
A comment on the veggie trendThe best vegan and vegetarian restaurants in DüsseldorfTo the article »From the corner pub to the gourmet restaurant, this is where the veggies feast: Vegan restaurants in DüsseldorfTo the article »How do I actually go vegan? The best tips for starting a veggie lifeTo the article »
5. Moral reasons play the greatest role
There are many reasons why more and more people are opting for a meat-free diet. Love of animals and criticism of factory farming, the desire for active climate and environmental protection, the problem of world hunger and health problems play a role. For around 63 percent of vegetarians, moral and ethical reasons play the greatest role in permanently removing meat from the menu.
6th Veggie Week in Düsseldorf
From October 16 to 18, VeggieWorld, the vegan trade fair, is visiting Düsseldorf. On the occasion of the 3rd VeggieWorld, the first "FoodartVeggieWeek" will take place in Düsseldorf the week before the fair. Under the motto #GoVeggieForAWeek, everything revolves around vegan and vegetarian nutrition and a healthy, sustainable lifestyle.
7. Vegetarian cookbooks
You don't have to look far for vegetarian and vegan cookbooks because they are right at the front of the bookstore shelves. We have three tips for you here:
- Greenbox from Tim Mälzer
- Krautkopf: cook vegetarian and enjoy
- Deliciously Ella: Ingeniously healthy food for a happy life
8. Blog recommendations: vegetarian and vegan - click here
9. Ten typical vegetarian situations
10. Cool "Veggie Instagram Accounts"
- Why is Yahoo Answers so stupid
- What does Medium think of Quora blogs
- Are Greta Thunberg's opinions correct?
- Is gallbladder removal good or bad?
- Why are there 2 dollar bills
- A single mineral can make a stone
- What is the spiritual meaning of numbers
- Are house cats really nocturnal?
- How do 1 cent stocks work
- Tim Cook is single
- Which ad network pays off the most?
- How is water digested
- What's your favorite street food in Malaysia
- What is the most underrated thing about webinars
- Contribute IPL matches to India's GDP
- Why is the English language evolving
- A wealthy partner is a good site
- Raw top ramen is bad for you
- Are IVF Babies Healthy?
- Scottish independence would weaken the United Kingdom
- How do I find ideas on blog topics
- How can I be healthy after 50
- What are Abrahamic religions
- Is it worth it to become a gynecologist