Keep yourself physically fit
This is how you stay physically fit in old age
With increasing age, physical fitness is an important factor of wellbeing and, above all, mobility. A good reason to take special care of our health. Daily exercise is an essential part of physical fitness. But does it make sense to do sport regularly as a senior? We say: yes, in any case!
Why should you train your physical fitness into old age?
Health benefits of exercise
Of course, as a senior, you can still be physically fit. The positive effects of sport are the prevention of back and joint pain, bone loss, obesity and sugar from old age. For people with compromised health, such as B. with heart disease and high blood pressure, exercise can also have good effects on the constitution. Exercise activates your entire cardiovascular system and regenerates your brain. It is now known from studies that exercise even helps prevent dementia.
By the way, a sporty person has better digestion than a couch potato. Make a "digestive walk" a compulsory part of your daily routine - you will see that exercise has a positive effect on many areas of the body. In addition, stiff joints are "lubricated" again and more dynamic through regular movement.
You should pay attention to this before exercising
Choose a sport that suits you and that you can do in your current health condition. Take regular breaks and don't overexert yourself. Pay attention to your own stress limit. The following applies to everyone who wants to start exercising: Please see your family doctor first and discuss which type of exercise will actually benefit you.
Scientifically proven: Sport in old age keeps you fit!
Physical fitness can also be maintained in old age. This way you can build up your stamina and muscles well into old age. Scientists from the University of Florida in Gainesville confirmed this in a study from 2014. According to them, walking for 20 minutes a day and a few light exercises such as squats or lunges should improve the fitness of seniors. Ideally, this means making everyday life easier and maintaining or even significantly improving the quality of life.
Everyday tips to keep you fit
With these tips you will stay fit for a long time in old age:
- Exercise regularly. Arrange to meet friends on fixed dates for walks or visit leisure activities and make new contacts at the same time.
- Good night: make sure you have a good night's sleep. It influences our fitness and resilience during the day. If necessary, change your pillow or mattress and rely on quality.
- Quit smoking. Carbon monoxide gets into the blood and binds to the red blood cells. It takes up the place of the oxygen and limits your performance.
- Drink alcohol in moderation.
- Keep yourself fit with a balanced, healthy diet that provides you with all the nutrients you need.
- Positive thinking motivates you to be more active.
Good reasons to exercise regularly
Strength training specifically builds up the muscles. This can make simple movement sequences safe again and mean preventive measures against falls and balance difficulties. Simple everyday activities such as gripping a bottle or safely pressing a door handle are supported by muscle strength. Small, but necessary, daily things are then no longer obstacles, but you can deal with them on your own.
Useful tools for muscle exercises:
- Elastic training band
- Light weight dumbbells
- Light weight cuffs with Velcro fastener
- Exercise ball
Endurance sport increases the oxygen saturation in the blood, which has a positive effect on the brain and heart. The ability to think is retained and complex relationships are grasped well into old age. Mental fitness in particular is affected. Depending on your condition, try these endurance sports:
- Light jogging
- Nordic walking
- To go biking
Or how about a completely different sport?
- Tai chi
Seated exercise is effective
Seniors can also strengthen, stretch and loosen their muscles while sitting. The entire upper body is trained through special exercises. Coordination and balance are supported. This is a gentle way of maintaining agility. Your doctor can give you tips on which exercises are useful for you or where to join an appropriate sports group. Your health insurance company will also be happy to provide you with information.
No matter which sport you choose, you should practice it regularly to see a positive effect. Regularly means: two to three times a week, because that's enough for noticeable effects. The breaks between training units are important for regeneration and should not be underestimated.
Fitness exercises for the home
You don't have to just do your sport in the gym or outside. Effective exercises can also be done at home in between and do not necessarily depend on equipment or good weather. If your legs don't want to anymore, it is quite possible to train your fitness with effective exercises while sitting.
Yoga exercise "the tree"
- Put one leg in front of the other in a staggered manner. The front leg should be slightly bent. The back leg is stretched slightly while keeping the knee pushed in. Now raise your arms over your head and press your palms together. The elbows point outwards.
- Bring your arms forward, then up, and finally down again to the sides, all in one flow.
- Let your arms circle outstretched next to your body: first forwards, then backwards, sometimes at the same time, sometimes alternately. You can find more seated exercises on the website of the health network “Vitanet”.
Regular exercise keeps you fit in old age! Symptoms and illnesses can be prevented or alleviated. This gives you the chance to enjoy life in a healthy and vital way even at an advanced age. Sports units can be designed flexibly and should correspond to your abilities. It has been scientifically proven that regular exercise also maintains mental fitness. Therefore, it is worth trying some sports and finding the most suitable one for you.
- What does the Koran say about hypergamy?
- How did the Nazis present the Jewish people
- What is an example of romance
- How can gamma rays exist without mass?
- Sexually transmitted diseases can be transmitted through oral sex
- All humans have melanin
- Google Stadia will be too expensive
- What should i do when i visit singapore
- What does your room look like 2
- Jeff Bezos is antisocial
- Can sulbutiamine be helpful in ADHD
- What is the remaining income in MLM
- Get paid for Lyft drivers at 12 noon
- Why do most objects rotate in space
- How much does a crore cost in GBP
- How are the Taiwanese
- What makes a hard life
- Originally Trump supported gun control
- How do I add pictures to comments
- Pneumonia is fatal
- Are there blacks in Russia?
- Why was Albus Potter in Slytherin
- What does the former mean
- How does malaria kill