Is homosexuality a psychological disorder
Homosexuality and transgenderism are not diseases
BPtK strongly supports the ban on treatment
Homosexuality and transgender are not diseases or disorders. The Federal Chamber of Psychotherapists (BPtK) therefore emphatically supports the draft law that the federal government passed today. According to this, so-called conversion treatments to change or suppress sexual orientation or self-perceived gender identity should be prohibited in principle for those under the age of 18.
"The draft law is an important sociopolitical signal not to tolerate the discrimination and stigmatization of homosexuality and transgenderism," explains BPtK President Dr. Dietrich Munz. "Treatments of homosexuality represent a significant violation of the psychotherapeutic professional law." The BPtK has also spoken out in favor of a general ban that is not limited to minors. If this is not possible for constitutional reasons, she demands an age of consent of up to 21 years.
In patient surveys, people treated with psychotherapy with a homosexual orientation also report experiences with conversion therapies. "That is degrading and unacceptable," stated BPtK President Munz. “The treatment of homosexuality and transgenderism is also associated with considerable health risks. Affected people develop depressive illnesses, anxiety disorders and substance abuse more often and have an increased risk of suicide, especially as adolescents and young adults. "
Today's medical professional consensus was preceded by a long and difficult process of political emancipation, especially the early homosexual emancipation movement. It was only the public appearance of the gay and lesbian movement against the discrimination of their sexual orientation that led to the fact that science also changed its pathologizing attitude in this regard. In 1973, homosexuality was removed from the US Manual of Mental Disorders (DSM). After that, it was not until 1991 that homosexuality was no longer listed as a mental disorder in the WHO classification (ICD-10). Transsexuality was only removed from the list of mental illnesses in ICD-11, which was passed in May 2019. "From the point of view of the German psychotherapists, it is depressing that these categorizations contribute to the fact that homosexual and transgender people were and continue to be discriminated against, stigmatized and exposed to violence," explains BPtK President Munz.
- Why do honeycomb cells have a hexagonal shape
- Who is a greater million or crore
- What can Muslims learn from Hindus
- Does anyone make money with ClickBank
- Which film has the most shocking climax
- Does the Navajo remedy for hearing loss work
- Have a Strong Personality Why
- What is the most common unprofitable business model
- Do you think weight affects the relationship
- What is your insanity
- What are the secondary colors in art
- What is 2 1 3 1
- What are pelagic and benthic
- Does social media SEO
- Why does paranoia occur
- Light requires electrical charge to be present
- How do propulsion systems work in space
- Is it Safe to Take a Diet While Running?
- What defines your life
- Can defeat Magneto Thanos
- What makes a great digital strategy
- Are there health risks associated with taking food supplements?
- Which is more simply microbiology or biotechnology
- Is Asos a good brand
- What would Jesse Helms think of Trump
- How can I meet BTS in person
- Was Jimmy Hoffa more powerful than JFK
- How do I make money with Luno
- Why is C so difficult to understand
- How can I deal with happiness
- Shall we tell everything to our parents?
- What are some interesting and inexplicable diseases