Which languages have a strong influence on the English language
Language history: the influence of other languages on the German language
We jog or walk, after all, “running” is a ridiculous word that does not give the sporting activity enough dynamism.
Of course, we also buy a coffee to go from the bakery and not a “coffee to take away” because we are always up-to-date. It seems that the German language has a bad hand and must always clear the stage for the trendy Anglicisms. But not only the English language has a great influence on German, but also many other languages.
The language family
The German language belongs to the Indo-European language family and separated from other Germanic languages in the course of the Middle Ages. New High German has only been spoken since 1650, although this has changed again. This change does not affect pronunciation and grammar, but above all the expansion of the vocabulary with new words from other languages and other language families.
The vocabulary of German
Most of the German vocabulary consists of so-called Hereditary wordsthat come from Old High German and Middle High German. They form another part Loanwords, which were originally adopted from other languages as well as the Foreign wordswhich have not been fully adapted to the German language.
Language history and language development
If you look at the language area in which the German language developed, it is understandable that it was influenced by other languages over the centuries. In the Middle Ages and before that time, it was primarily the Latin language that shaped German, particularly in the areas of architecture, religion and warfare.
The Greek language influenced German particularly in the areas of religion, science and philosophy. Many terms from the 14th to 16th centuries also came from Middle Latin, such as definition, logic, author and advocate.
|From the Latin||From the Greek|
The German language was later dated in the course of the Enlightenment and the Thirty Years' War French embossed. Because after the Thirty Years War, French was spoken at many courts. In particular, French terms such as jam, sidewalk or boulevard, which were mostly used by the nobility and artists, found their way into the German language.
Other linguistic influences on vocabulary
In addition to linguistic influences from Latin, French and Greek, the German language also has some borrowings from Italian, Spanish and Portuguese. It also records coins from Arabic, Yiddish and the Slavic languages.
Particularly in the areas of trade, medicine, botany, mathematics, chemistry and astronomy, one recognizes a strong influence from Arabic. The terms came to Europe through the Crusades and were included in the German vocabulary.
|Slavic||Yiddish and Rotwelsch||Arabic||Spanish / Portuguese|
The German language has changed significantly over the last few centuries and New High German has only been spoken since 1650. The German language experienced great linguistic influences through the Latin, Greek, French, Italian and Arabic. In addition, German was also influenced by Yiddish, Portuguese, Spanish and Slavic languages.
- How do DC voltage regulators work
- What is good for smokers
- Richard Mueller is a genius 1
- Which frog species do other frogs eat
- How is my website speed
- Why do jealous people hate successful people
- How do I stream audio on Twitter
- What are the benefits of Discord
- How are B2B email lists beneficial?
- How is your team structure
- 12 Mbit / s is good for online courses
- When do French citizens get their salary?
- A question is always a question
- Why do non-Americans hate Americans
- Will the GBP USD reach dollar parity?
- Why do we need a home
- What is data analysis
- What are some minimalist free blogging platforms
- What is an attractive euphemism for gamification
- What do you order from Arbys
- What do R programmers use Python for
- What are the best arguments against libertarianism
- What time do the French have dinner?
- Why do many people hate thinking
- What is the most beautiful dark song
- How exactly is an uncopied AK47
- Which famous movie stars were gay
- GoDaddy offers free hosting
- Which villain actually had a point
- Are there conservative democrats out there?
- Free weights are better than machines
- Narcissists have double standards
- Why is life so overwhelming
- You can use edible oil as a lubricant