What can rabbits not eat
Species-appropriate rabbit food
- Rabbit food based on the model of the wild rabbit -
In addition to a lot of love that our rabbits can expect from us, one of the most important factors for animal welfare is a healthy and balanced rabbit food. This has a decisive influence on the health and vitality of the animals.
Important facts about rabbit food
- The half the daily feed ration should be made up fresh crude fiber (Leaves, salads, grasses)
- A quarter the daily ration should be off vegetables consist (carrots, celery)
- Another quarter of rabbit food can be in the form of fruit (Apples, pears)
- Hay and dried herbs make excellent dry food
- You should generally refrain from feeding rabbits with dry food that contains grain or sugar
Our tipA rabbit should receive around 100 grams of food per kilogram of body weight.
Example:A rabbit weighing 2 kilograms needs 200 grams of rabbit food per day.
A Typical Feeding Day - What Can You Offer the Rabbit?
A rabbit's daily diet should include Half of raw fiber-rich products exist in the form of fresh feed.
The tastiest varieties include:
- Lamb's lettuce
- Carrot leaves
- Radish leaves
- Kohlrabi leaves
- Cauliflower leaves
- Bamboo leaves
Our tipFeed salads less often in winter, as there is often too high a nitrate load, which can have a negative impact on the rabbit's health.
Likewise Vegetables are important for rabbit feedingwhich belongs on the daily menu.
- Kohlrabi (in very small quantities)
- Parsley roots
You can save money by buying larger quantities and always have healthy and species-appropriate rabbit food available. Here are a few examples.
20 kilograms of fodder carrots in different sizes. When carrots are wrapped in sand, they can be stored for months, ensuring a constant supply of vegetables and a healthy treat for the rabbits.
Our tipBefore serving the fresh food to your pet rabbit, you should wash it carefully to remove any contamination. Otherwise, these can lead to unpleasant diarrhea.
And what about fruit?
Many rodents love fruit, so they like to eat it. Since it is also rich in vitamins, it can be used as rabbit food. However, an important rule applies here: a maximum of a quarter of the daily feed ration may consist of fruit due to the high fructose content.
For example, rabbits love:
A diet rich in raw fiber is also extremely important for the rabbit's dental health, because rabbit teeth keep growing. If they are not removed regularly, this can sooner or later cause pain to the rabbit.
Our buying recommendations for rabbit food
We can give the following recommendations if you want to order rabbit food. In some cases, this allows larger quantities to be purchased and thus saves money. For example, when buying whole hay bales or feed in larger storage packs.
The Tima Herb Mix dry food consists of the colorful variety of natural herbs. With almost 23% raw fiber content, it is perfect as rabbit food.
composition: Echinacea, chamomile, green oats, parsley, green wheat, rocket, chamomile, peppermint, pea, carrot
The rabbits like to eat carrot flakes and are ideal to supplement the large amount of fresh feed in free-range farming and to offer the rabbits variety.
Which rabbit food is the hare not allowed to eat?
Many rabbit owners believe that hard bread is particularly good rabbit food because it wears out their teeth. This is a mistake, however, because the rabbits are not able to digest the bread. You should therefore not feed them.
You should also avoid the following feeds:
- All kinds of onion plantssuch as onions, leeks or chives. These lead to unpleasant gas and are sometimes even poisonous for rabbits.
- Different types of cabbagesuch as red and white cabbage. One often reads that cabbage should not be given as rabbit food, as it leads to gas and diarrhea. This is not entirely true. If the rabbit has a lot of exercise, is not given ready-made feed and has slowly got used to cabbage, it is an ideal supplement in winter. What to watch out for and how to get rabbits used to cabbage can be found in the Rabbit and Cabbage section.
- Potatoes: Many components of the potato are difficult to digest or even poisonous.
- legumessuch as lentils or beans. These foods can also lead to diarrhea or gas
How important is dry food?
Commercial dry food, which contains grains of any kind, does not belong on the diet for rabbits. As mentioned above, the digestive tract is not designed for this form of nutrient, so the grain cannot be processed.
The same applies to the often advertised treats in the form of drops and the like. These sometimes contain such large amounts of sugar that this can pose a significant health risk.
The only sensible and species-appropriate dry food for rabbits is dried raw fiber and dried fruit and vegetables:
You can make such rabbit food yourself by harvesting an appropriate supply in the summer months and drying it gently.
Dried food from the trade
If you do not have the possibility of your own production, you can also look for suitable dry food in stores.
Which dry food can the rabbit eat ?:
- The dry feed must not contain any grain
- The dry food must not contain any added sugar or other sweeteners that do not occur naturally
- It should consist exclusively of raw fiber (e.g. hay, dandelions)
- Vegetables and very small amounts of fruit may be added
- The rabbit also does not need any types of food whose packaging instructions contain various, unknown additives
Water is also important
A rabbit must always have access to fresh water. Change this at least once, even better twice a day, so that no bacteria and germs can spread in the trough.
You need these utensils to "set the table"
Basically, a rabbit doesn't need much to be happy. In nature, raw fiber and vegetables are not found on the plate either. Nevertheless, many rabbit owners find it nicer - and above all cleaner - when there is a hay rack in the barn. There you can add hay as well as grass and other raw fodder. A food bowl is suitable for serving the fruits and vegetables.
The bowl should be as heavy as possible so that the rabbit cannot accidentally knock it over. There are also models that can be attached to the stable floor or wall.
Another must-have in every rabbit hutch is the water trough. Such products are offered in different versions in the trade, so that you can search for a suitable product according to your individual needs.
Conclusion on rabbit food
In summary, it doesn't take much to make a rabbit happy. Pay attention to the optimal distribution of raw fiber, vegetables and fruit and avoid everything that would not be available to the animal in the wild. Or have you ever seen a forest hare looking for a pack of dry grain feed in the supermarket?
- Murdered Adnan Syed Hae Min Lee
- Do you wear shorts?
- What meat do the Vietnamese traditionally eat
- Which SIM network are you working with
- How am I supposed to study physics now?
- Which country had the most wars?
- Is Bali safe from a tsunami
- What happened when Rome became a republic
- Why is the Yulin Dog Festival observed
- What was the best infantry in history
- What causes diarrhea
- Kills Hindi other Indian languages
- What is a funnel chart
- Prices are high in Palo Alto California
- What are usually measured in millimeters
- How is my website ranking on Google
- Why am I not answering your question
- How does a vacuum cleaner work
- Malaysians are Chinese
- What surprised you about Turkey?
- What makes a great digital strategy
- What is the best substitute for sex
- What is direct work
- What AP class did you hate
- What is the obesity rate in Mexico
- Is Hungary ready to leave the EU?
- What should I know before I move out
- What is good teacher training
- Is it more important than luck to be useful?
- Which job portal in Singapore do you use
- How technical is Google CEO Sundar Pichai
- How can we stay happy when we live alone
- Celebrities get away with crimes easily