Which makes it harder to answer a question
answer or answer?
Have you ever wondered if there is a difference between verbs reply and answer gives? And if so, what exactly is this difference?
We answer you because we would like to answer this question to you. It is also not very difficult to answer this question. So we answer now.
As for the main meaning, there is no difference between the two verbs. The main meaning of both verbs is:
give an oral or written answer to a question
However, you have to be careful when using these verbs, because the usage varies.
The verb answer is transitive, i.e. it always starts with an accusative object (What do we answer?). In contrast, the verb reply without additions, with a dative (Who do we answer?) or with the preposition on + accusative (What do we respond to?) stand.
answer to + accusative
to answer something to someone
answer a question / letter
- The teacher asked the class, but no one answered.
- I ask and you answer.
- Why do not you answer?
- You have to answer me when I ask you.
- Why do not you answer me?
answer to something
- He asked a question, but no one answered his question.
- Why don't you answer my question?
- I haven't replied to your letter yet.
- He answered no to my question.
- Would you please answer the questions in the questionnaire?
to answer something to someone
- Have you already replied to his letter?
- Please answer me to this question!
- I am not answering the question.
- I do not answer this question.
- He answered yes to my question.
- Would you please answer the questionnaire?
Differences between the two verbs
But there is a slight difference between the two verbs. With the meaning “react to an event” one uses rather answer to as answer.
- She responded to this behavior with a shake of her head.
- The indignant listeners responded to the politician's statements with boos and whistles.
- The goal to make it 1-0 came in the 23rd minute, but our team responded immediately with the equalizer.
We hope we have answered your question.
Here you read and learn all meanings of the verb reply.
<< hung or hung?
during or during? >>
change or change?
visit or visit?
end or end?
All questions and answers from the series
Good question | Questions from German lessons
- What am I feeling right now
- Too much coffee is unhealthy
- What are the benefits of red wine
- Malaysia Like Chinese girls Malay men
- What happens without ethics
- How many liters are 2 5 liters
- Who are the most creative authors
- Are red and purple complementary colors
- What's wrong with being judgmental
- How have minorities affected the US government?
- Are millimeters equal to cc
- What are some free video making websites
- Can a man be paid to have sex?
- What food supplements do you use
- How does Expedia compensate its affiliates
- What should I blog about my business?
- Why are Romanians associated with gypsies?
- What are the best ecommerce blogs
- How long have you recovered from anorexia
- What are application of geology
- Can sulbutiamine be helpful in ADHD
- How do psychiatrists treat homosexuality
- Smart people get things wrong
- Can I trigger bipolar hypomania?
- Smart people make drugs
- Is plastic recycling profitable?
- What is going wrong with Borussia Dortmund
- What is poverty and its causes
- Are men emotionally shortened in relationships
- How does the 2nd amendment help
- How do I save the turtles
- What are some examples of solved paradoxes
- What is dark matter 8
- Why is xenophobia a social problem