What are the symbols of elements
What is an element symbol? Definition ...
Every chemical element in the periodic table has an abbreviation officially defined by the International Union of Pure and Applied Chemistry (IUPAC). The purpose is to facilitate communication among chemists across national borders. Because in different countries chemical elements sometimes have very different names. An officially recognized system has the advantage that it avoids possible misunderstandings in advance.
The Swedish chemist Jöns Jakob Berzelius started defining element abbreviations in the early 19th century. The abbreviations are always derived from the Greek or Latin name of the element. For this reason there are abbreviations for a total of 16 elements that cannot be derived from the element name itself in the German language. These include: antimony (Sb = stibium), lead (Pb = plumbum), iron (Fe = ferrum), gold (Au = aurum), iodine (I = iodine), calcium (Ca = calcium), cobalt (Co = cobalt ), Carbon (C = carbon), copper (Cu = cuprum), mercury (Hg = hydrargyrum), oxygen (O = oxygenium), silver (Ag = argentum), nitrogen (N = nitrogenium), hydrogen (H = hydrogenium) , Bismuth (Bi = bismuth) and tin (Sn = stannum).
Berzelius began by defining one-word element symbols (e.g. B for boron). Since this was not enough, two-letter element symbols were also used in the following years for newly discovered elements (e.g. Th for thorium). Recently, three-letter element symbols have also found their way into the periodic table. However, only for provisionally named elements that are still waiting to be officially named. Currently this affects the four elements Ununtrium (Uut), Ununoctium (Uuo), Ununpentium (Uup) and Ununseptium (Uus).
- Twists the space-time of the compressed air
- How easy is it to grow watermelon
- How was the calculator discovered
- What substances does the stomach digest?
- Why are teachers important in curriculum development
- Masons kill people for sacrifices
- Which countries have a surprisingly strong military?
- Which websites can you sell things on
- Where can someone learn MS Excel
- What gives cryptocurrencies their value 1
- Were the ancient Greeks really gay?
- What does meth do to your lungs
- Are hierarchical Dirichlet processes useful in practice
- Is Harry Potter really a half-breed
- What helps with life counseling
- Why does nobody agree with my answers
- Is dark matter sensitive
- Why do police officers no longer wear shoulder holsters?
- Is Noah's ark a biblical fairy tale
- How is the night life in Fairfield CT
- Should I invest in Electroneum ico
- How does lamb taste
- How can I buy happiness in sex
- Is it illegal to sell homemade weapons?
- How is your personality
- What is your opinion on the colonization of Mars
- What are the benefits of Facebook Marketing
- How can I enjoy my wealth
- What are the 10 sales models
- Are there time travel 6
- Why do I need web hosting
- Freelance is better than a regular job
- Did it snow in Perth Australia
- How are psychopaths