What is Walmart
Chronically overcrowded city centers and the resulting shortage of parking spaces led to the early 1960s in the USA that the first retailers set up shop in open spaces in front of the big cities and in principle offered the same cheap items as the established chains Woolworth, Sears or JCPenney in the cities. The first to discover the greenfield were all rather small companies from the province, such as Kmart (Kresge Market) from Garden City / Michigan, Target from Rosefield / Minnesota and Wal-Mart (Walton Market) from Rogers / Arkansas. All three opened their first discount supermarkets in 1962. Kmart had been in Detroit since 1899 under the name Sebastian Spering Kresge, Target as George Dayton in Minneapolis since 1902 and Samuel Moore Walton (1918-1992) had several general stores in Arkansas since 1945, Missouri and Oklahoma. In 1969/70 the company was converted into a stock corporation. By 2000, Wal-Mart had opened over 1,400 discount stores in all 50 states, mostly on the outskirts of major cities and rural areas.
In 1997/98, the then largest retail group in the world expanded to Germany with the takeover of the Wertkauf chain (21 stores) and 74 Interspar hypermarkets, but never got out of the red due to the great competition from other discounters. In addition, the Wal-Mart Code of Conduct met with incomprehension and resistance from the Germans. The company was forbidden by a court to forbid its employees to have romantic relationships in the workplace. In 2006, Wal-Mart sold its 85 German supermarkets to Metro AG, which they integrated into their subsidiary Real. Wal-Mart operates around 6,300 discount stores in North, Central and South America (Argentina, Brazil, Costa Rica, El Salvador, Guatemala, Honduras, Canada, Mexico, Nicaragua, Puerto Rico, USA), Europe (Great Britain) and Asia (China , Japan, South Korea). ASDA (ASquith + DAiries), the leading British supermarket chain alongside Tesco and Sainsbury, has also been part of Wal-Mart since 1999. With the introduction of a new logo, the spelling of the brand name was changed to Walmart in 2008.
© 2021 Toralf Czartowski | Texts: Toralf Czartowski
Photos: Pixabay, Unsplash, Public Domain, T. Czartowski
© 2021 Toralf Czartowski
Texts: Toralf Czartowski
Photos: Pixabay, Unsplash, Public Domain,
- The bipolar disorder is always progressive
- What is Integrated Steel Mill
- Michelle Obama graduated
- Telekinesis is the most powerful force
- Is Canada better than Korea
- Hong Kong is less westernized than Singapore
- What's worse is saturated fat or cholesterol
- Which website offers data cleaning services
- Why do countries succeed and fail economically
- Have you achieved your goal
- What do you mean by cloud computing?
- How is the population in Japan declining
- What should I not say in London
- Who are the most paid doctors
- Which diet is good for the visually impaired
- Why is South Korea so ugly
- What are the key qualifications in netball
- Can the DBSCAN algorithm detect outliers?
- Where can you live like in the Middle Ages
- What is Opp Rank in Fantasy Football
- Trump has just been charged
- Which companies does Donald Trump own
- Why do US Navy ships keep crashing?
- What are the cornerstones of personal branding