Can glaucoma be treated with eye replacements?
Eye surgery: follow-up treatment and aftercare
Medical follow-up care - take examinations seriously
Thorough medical care is important after any form of eye surgery. As a rule, the patient remains under medical supervision in the practice or clinic for the first few hours after the operation so that any complications that may arise can be treated immediately. In the following period, you should be examined by an ophthalmologist at regular intervals. In the case of laser surgery to improve eyesight, such as LASIK surgery, these controls usually take place one day, one week, one month, three months and one year after the operation. In the case of myopia correction using PRK (photorefractive keratectomy), the eye should even be checked daily at the beginning, as therapeutic contact lenses usually have to be worn in the first few days to protect the exposed corneal nerves.
It doesn't work without eye drops
Since the cornea is either superficially ablated or severed during laser eye surgery, the fine corneal nerves are damaged. Due to the lack of nerve endings, the cornea reacts less sensitively to its environment in the first time after the operation. The eye can therefore no longer optimally adjust to the environment and tear film production decreases.
To support the moisturizing of the eyes and the healing of wounds, therefore, moisturizing eye drops are usually used for the follow-up treatment. These are given every hour in the first few days after the operation and later as required. For some eye operations (e.g. cataracts, PRK), anti-inflammatory and / or antibiotic eye drops are also administered in the follow-up care.
Follow-up treatment for cataract surgery: what is a cataract?
Cataracts are one of the most common eye diseases in Germany. During the surgical treatment, the clouded lens is removed and replaced with an artificial lens, the outer half of the lens, the capsular bag, is retained. In about a fifth of the cases, a so-called cataract occurs a few months after the cataract operation. This is a clouding of the posterior part of the capsular bag that remains in the eye due to natural cell growth. The cataract is painless, safe and can be treated and removed on an outpatient basis with a special laser.
Rules of conduct after eye surgery
Whether after cataract surgery or refractive surgery to improve eyesight, the most important rule in follow-up treatment is: Follow your doctor's instructions and be patient. Immediately after the eye operation, it is advisable to keep your eyes closed for a while to support the healing process. For the time afterwards, the following general information must be observed:
- Refrain from driving for the first 24 hours
- Avoid excessive physical exertion in the first few days
- Do not rub or squeeze the newly operated eye
- It is essential to keep medical follow-up appointments
- Use prescribed eye medication as directed
- Daily body care is possible without any problems. However, the eyes should not come into contact with water, soap, or shampoo
- Do not use additional visual aids, even if your eyesight is still limited after the operation. The constant change makes it difficult for the brain to adjust permanently to the new conditions.
Attention: If unexpected problems occur - such as a sudden, significant deterioration in vision or persistent pain in the newly operated eye - please consult a doctor immediately and under no circumstances wait for the next check-up appointment.
- What are some examples of geological discoveries
- Is there an infinite dimension at all?
- Have you ever lost something very precious?
- Do men really need sex
- What are some cool places in Varanasi
- Mike Pence isn't intelligent
- How does R compare to pandas
- What causes dizziness from stuffy ears
- Why are people afraid of me
- Can fake emails be traced?
- What's your nephew's name?
- What is the use of Ethereum coin
- Why is it difficult to start saving
- Can drinking water harm us
- What Indian authors should read by everyone
- How much is infinite minus 1
- How are pebbles made
- How does Expedia compensate its affiliates
- What is 4 + 2 + 2 0 + 2 + 2 + 8 + 2 + 0 + 2 + 2 + 2 + 2 0 + 8 + 2
- Which countries start with the letter K.
- How do I track Quora comments
- How fast can people swim
- What does an IQ of 132 mean?
- Who can learn SAP FICO