What are holes in the semiconductor
As Defect electron, Electron vacancy or hole is the name of the (virtual) positive mobile charge carrier in semiconductors.
It arises, among other things, when high-purity semiconductors (silicon, germanium, gallium arsenide, etc.) are deliberately contaminated with certain trivalent or pentavalent elements (mostly boron or aluminum for Si or Ge), i.e. they are incorporated into the crystal lattice as foreign atoms through diffusion or ion implantation (see doping). However, conduction through defect electrons can also arise through intrinsic conduction in the undoped crystal, ie. for example, breaking a covalent bond between two Si atoms creates a gap. This gap (usually called "hole" in physics) can move in the same way without a lack of electrons having to be caused by foreign atoms: An adjacent electron can now jump to this free point in the crystal structure, something that comes from outside looks like a positively charged hole is moving (comparable to an air bubble in a liquid). In the band model, one speaks of a transition of the electron from the valence band to the conduction band (or the defect electron from the conduction band to the valence band), which can be caused, for example, by thermal excitation.
An important characteristic variable of semiconductors is the charge carrier mobility. However, this is not automatically the same for electrons and holes, but depends on the material, doping, temperature, etc., for example.
Examples from the application
The generation of electron-hole pairs by optical excitation and subsequent separation of the same at the p-n junction is used in solar cells to convert light into electrical energy.
Category: Solid State Physics
- Can we make a ring with pure gold?
- How do you find inspiration for writing
- Which coins are named after places
- What is Bill Gates' source of income
- Should the US have Medicare for everyone
- What is 10 10 10 10
- What is your made in china product
- Are Netflix and Disney competitors
- What's the hardest thing about data science
- Like many brands, Walmart owns
- Should Dark Souls be played in the correct order
- What are the main restrictions in DBMS
- What is Vietnam famous for
- Who was Sirius Black's love interest
- Can I call my child Jesus
- A teenager may have mild ADHD
- How many millionaires are there in Singapore
- What is poverty and its causes
- At what age are farm animals slaughtered
- Does the Democratic Party support gun control?
- How can parents motivate teenagers
- What do I need for CPA marketing
- What is the principle behind a vacuum pump?
- Is vacuum a liquid?
- Why don't churches have to pay taxes?
- What is the multiverse 1
- What does exodus mean
- Gender equality is a myth
- What is the future of Quora 1
- What's the weather like where you are
- Life was better 40 years ago
- Is affiliate marketing real
- How can I be a nudist