What if the minimum wage was 5?
German Trade Union Confederation
What is the minimum wage in 2021? What is the minimum wage in 2022? When is it increased? And what are the exceptions to the minimum wage in 2021 and 2022? Answers to the most important questions.
DGB / Bartolomiej Pietrzyk / 123RF.com
CURRENT LEGAL MINIMUM WAGE
The current statutory minimum wage in 2021 is 9.50 euros (until June 30, 2021).
How was the statutory minimum wage set for 2021 and 2022?
On June 30, 2020, the minimum wage commission issued its recommendation to increase the statutory minimum wage in 2021 and 2022. The federal government followed this recommendation of the minimum wage commission. The minimum wage will therefore rise in four stages in the two years 2021 and 2022.
What is the statutory minimum wage in 2021?
- From January 1 to June 30, 2021, the statutory minimum wage is 9.50 euros
- From July 1 to December 31, 2021, the statutory minimum wage is 9.60 euros
DGB livestream for Labor Day 2021
Solidarity is the future: The DGB's livestream on Labor Day from May 1, 2021
Have another look at our live stream on May 1st, 2021. With a colorful, political and musical program for Labor Day, in keeping with our May 2021 motto: Solidarity is the future.
What is the statutory minimum wage in 2022?
- From January 1 to June 30, 2022, the statutory minimum wage is 9.82 euros
- From July 1 to December 31, 2022, the statutory minimum wage is 10.45 euros
When will the statutory minimum wage be increased?
The statutory minimum wage will be increased in four steps in 2021 and 2022: on January 1, 2021 to EUR 9.50, on July 1, 2021 to EUR 9.60, on January 1, 2022 to EUR 9.82 and on January 1, 2021 to EUR 9.60 July 2022 to 10.45 euros.
When does the minimum wage commission make its next recommendation for a minimum wage increase?
The minimum wage commission makes its recommendation for the level of the statutory minimum wage every two years. It made its last recommendation on June 30, 2020 for the years 2021 and 2022. The increases in the statutory minimum wage that have already taken place or are pending in 2021 and 2022 are based on this recommendation.
The minimum wage commission is planned make their next recommendation for the level of the statutory minimum wage in summer 2022. If the federal government follows this recommendation, there will be a new statutory minimum wage amount from January 2023. However, as the minimum wage commission will not make its recommendation for the years 2023 and 2024 until the summer of 2022, as I said, the amount of the statutory minimum wage for the years 2023 and 2024 has not yet been determined.
What was the statutory minimum wage in 2020?
The statutory minimum wage was 9.35 per hour in 2020 and was increased to 9.50 on January 1, 2021.
How has the statutory minimum wage developed?
The statutory minimum wage in Germany has developed as follows since it was introduced in Germany on January 1, 2015:
(in € / hour)
(1st half year)
(1st half year)
With the current increase in the statutory minimum wage in 2021 and 2022, the minimum wage will rise by 11.8 percent from the end of 2020 to the second half of 2022.
Compared to the introduction in 2015 (8.50 euros), the statutory minimum wage will have increased by 22.9 percent by the second half of 2022.
The development of the statutory minimum wage in Germany from 2015 to 2022 DGB
Will there still be exceptions to the statutory minimum wage in 2021?
There will also be exceptions to the statutory minimum wage in 2021 and 2022.
Minimum wage exceptions - The statutory minimum wage still does NOT apply to:
- Young people under 18 years of age without completed vocational training
- Apprentices - regardless of their age - As part of the
Vocational training (Note: In the course of the reform of the Vocational Training Act, there is often talk of the introduction of a "minimum wage for trainees". However, the correct term for this minimum wage for trainees is "minimum training allowance" and not to be confused with the statutory minimum wage. You can find more information on the minimum training allowance here and Here you can find the amount of the "minimum wage for trainees" in 2021)
- Long-term unemployed during the first six months of her
Employment after cessation of unemployment
- Internsif the internship is compulsory as part of a
school or university education takes place
- Internsif the internship is voluntary up to a duration
of three months for orientation for vocational training or
Serves to start studying
- Teenagersthat at a Entry qualification as a preparation to
vocational training or another vocational training course
preparation according to the Vocational Training Act
In addition, when the Minimum Wage Act was introduced, there was a transition period for collective agreements that provide for wages below the statutory minimum wage. This deadline has long since expired. Therefore: Not allowed in any industry (also in 2021 and 2022; apart from the groups of people mentioned above) are paid less than the statutory minimum wage provides.
Which minimum wages or industry minimum wages will rise in 2021?
Minimum wages in certain occupations
In addition to the statutory minimum wage, there are also industry minimum wages. A sector minimum wage is negotiated by unions and employers in a collective agreement and declared generally binding by politicians. It then applies to all employees in this industry - even if their employer is not bound by collective bargaining agreements (overview of all industry minimum wages and further information on the subject of industry minimum wages).
In the course of 2021 there will be the following new / increased industry minimum wages:
- In the Waste management the industry minimum wage will increase from 10.25 euros to 10.45 euros from October 2021.
- In the Vocational education and training the industry minimum wage will increase from 16.19 euros to 16.68 euros for educational staff from January 2021. For pedagogical employees with a bachelor's degree, it increases from 16.39 euros to 17.02 euros at the same time.
- in the Roofing trade the industry minimum wage will increase from EUR 12.40 to EUR 12.60 for unskilled workers from January 2021. For journeyman roofers, it increases at the same time from EUR 13.60 to EUR 14.10.
- in the Electrical trade the industry minimum wage will increase from 11.90 euros to 12.40 euros from January 2021.
- In the Care industry there will also be new industry minimum wages. Read our overview of the "minimum wage care" in our overview of industry minimum wages.
- Also in the Temporary work / temporary work the minimum fees increase.
"Minimum wage for apprentices"
The statutory minimum wage does not apply to trainees. The term "minimum wage for trainees" is often used colloquially for the minimum training allowance. This minimum training allowance will also increase from January 2021: it will then be in 2021
- 550 euros in the 1st year of training,
- 649 euros in the 2nd year of training,
- 743 euros in the 3rd year of training
- 770 euros in the 4th year of training
- What is the importance of integration
- Which is better ClickBank or JVZoo
- What inspired the name 50 Cent
- Can a person prosecute a criminal case
- Which insurance companies cover solar panels
- How long do guns and bullets last
- Why is an apartment called an apartment
- Is artificial intelligence for everyone
- Is diabetes 100 curable or not
- What is fine jewelry
- Chinese is a beautiful language
- What are some surprising statistics about meditation
- Why is China rejecting inventions
- How do you emigrate to the Maldives
- What things are not important, but necessary
- Most black men meet black women
- What is nanometer
- Why there aren't vertical farms that keep spreading
- What are some fascinating phenomena in life
- 10 GHz processors will be possible by 2020
- Why am I always sad and crying
- Where can I sell my programming website
- Is the temperature defined in a vacuum
- Why are young people kidnapped?
- Who will benefit when the UK leaves the EU?
- Dilutes lemonade beer 50 50
- How do I get free WordPress hosting
- Can a narcot throw you away slowly
- Are INFJ narcissistic people
- Which country is most open to sex?
- Money creates science
- How fast is a nuclear submarine
- Is chlorine bad for the ozone layer?
- PC games would make game consoles obsolete