Is it possible to hack NASA satellites?
Cyber conflict specialist warns of easily hackable satellites
Space X, the space company of billionaire Elon Musk, plans to provide the entire globe with Internet access. To date, 302 satellites have been sent into space for the ambitious project; at least 12,000 to 42,000 are expected to be. Other corporations such as Facebook and Google also want to launch thousands of satellites into space in the near future in order to improve navigation systems, for example. The political scientist William Akoto, who specializes in the analysis of cyber conflicts, has now warned of possible hack attacks, as "Heise" reported.
For "Scientific American" and "The Conversation", the political scientist wrote about the allegedly virtually non-existent IT security standards of some satellites and their potential danger: "If hackers were to gain control of these satellites, the consequences would be grave." In this way it would be possible to switch off the satellites, so that their services would no longer be available. It also warns of satellites that have thrusters. Loss of control of these satellites could have "catastrophic consequences": Hackers could change orbits and cause them to collide with other satellites or even the ISS.
Cube-Sats: cheaper satellites
Akoto goes into the so-called Cube-Sats in the article in more detail. For corporations, only the comparatively cheap terrestrial satellites would often come into question, as the planned fleets would otherwise not be affordable. According to the expert, the Cube-Sats have hardware and software "off the shelf" and are therefore easy prey for hackers.
No encrypted data
IT security of the physically difficult to reach satellites has only recently been an issue, as "Extremetech" reported. The builders of some of the satellites in orbit did not worry that someone on earth would interfere with or hack the signals. They have little storage capacity and their data is not encrypted. (emko, February 25, 2020)
- Why will a narcissist leave you forever
- Can I study for free in Australia
- Can we drink water immediately after pranayam?
- Should public schools teach social media marketing
- How deep are moon craters
- What is the most common fingerprint pattern
- Why don't you answer questions for others
- How can I use Instagram for marketing
- Why is Neil deGrasse Tyson special
- Is New Zealand in Asia
- How do I publish my math formula
- What is 10 10 10 10
- What are important ideas in art
- Are Webinars Effective for Selling Courses Online?
- What causes E coli on lettuce
- Will my girlfriend get obese
- My mother has a Quora account
- What is the nature of business
- How do I start making plastic parts
- Why is Mexico so dangerous
- Can I start blogging without a 1,000
- Why are robotic vacuums round
- How many miles are 176 kilometers
- Are we really born to love?
- What should I never do in Norway
- Why do we as humans need confirmation
- Which is the best compact vacuum cleaner
- Each country prints its own money
- What are the best sports nutrition supplements
- How can product marketing increase sales
- How do electoral votes work
- What date did Margaret Thatcher die?