Are CJD and Alzheimer's disease the same
Creutzfeldt-Jakob disease appears as very rapidly (6-12 months) progressive dementia, which is typically accompanied by motor disorders in the form of myoclonia (= pronounced involuntary muscle twitching) and ataxia (= pronounced balance and coordination disorders). Characteristic changes in the electro-encephalogram (EEG) help to confirm the diagnosis.
Creutzfeldt-Jakob disease is a human variant of so-called "mad cow disease" (BSE) and occurs in humans both as a "sporadic" form (without a clear cause), as a hereditary form but also as a form acquired through infection. Accordingly, tissues and body fluids from diseased living beings are considered to be potentially infectious. In contrast to the earlier assumption that it is a question of a creeping viral disease ("slow virus" theory), the Creutzfeldt-Jakob disease is caused by the deposition of atypical protein fragments - the so-called prions. These lead to a spongy destruction of the brain tissue (so-called spongiform encephalopathy).
The disease is very rare (around 80 cases per year in Germany) and transmission from animals to humans has so far only been proven in individual cases. There is no known therapy; at best, symptomatic treatment of the neuropsychiatric accompanying symptoms can bring slight relief. Compared to many other dementias, the course is much faster and most of those affected die within a year.
Prof. Johannes Pantel, Frankfurt
- What is a keyword in SEO
- What is kilobyte
- Can you sharpen a knife with stones?
- How can we drink salty water
- Why do people love Marvel movies
- What's another site like Zendesk
- What was the Hull House built for
- Is RO water acidic
- Why is Canada so expensive
- Is the USS Missouri still ready for action?
- What is the best brand AR 15
- Why is humanity above religion?
- Is dihydrocodeine an opioid or opiate
- Could old Nan be a Targaryen?
- What's the most useful acronym
- What is sandwich massage
- What are the rules for UN
- How do you close Quora
- Why do dogs whine and groan annoyingly
- Can diabetics eat pomegranate
- Which countries will collapse in 10 years?
- What do bananas do to your body?
- Why is the ocean color blue
- Can submarines carry SAMs