What does 1k
What does 10k, 40k, 100k, the k after the number mean? Meaning, definition, written out
The "k" behind a number stands for the word "kilo". It means that something is used 1000 times. The expression “kilo” exactly stands for the number 1,000.
Examples: One kilogram consists of 1000 grams, one kilometer is 1000 meters long. The number "1k" means 1000.
The "k" is used with large numbers to abbreviate them. It doesn't really matter whether it is written in uppercase or lowercase.
The rule of thumb is that a “k” stands for three zeros (“000”). In the USA it is common to abbreviate larger numbers with "k". This also spread through the Internet in Germany.
- 1,000 = 1k
- 10,000 = 10k
- 40,000 = 40k
- 100,000 = 100k
- 1,000,000 = 1kk or 1M (M stands for million; the doubled "k" also stands for six zeros.)
- 1,000,000,000 = 1B (The "B" means "Billion" and is abbreviated according to the English language logic. In German one would say Billion (billion).)
If there is a euro symbol at the end of the number, it is clear what is meant: € 10k = € 10,000.
The "k" as an abbreviation for "1000" comes from the English-speaking world and is widespread in the social media (Facebook, Instagram, Twitter, etc.) offered by English-speaking companies. Since the offers are used internationally, the unit "k" is spreading.
That is why the “k” is also pronounced as “kay” in English.
The "k" had long been widespread among US technology companies and programmers. So gives the kilobyte, which consists of 1000 bytes. 1 megabyte in turn consists of 1000 kilobytes.
The “kilo” as a numerical word for 1,000 comes from the Greek “chílioi”.
Further units of measurement for 1,000: t, tsd, mille
In Germany, a lowercase “t” or the abbreviation “Tsd.” Is sometimes used instead of the “k”. The "t" and "thousand" mean "thousand" and thus also designate the number "1,000".
Example with "t" and "Tsd.":
- 1,000 = 1t
- 1,000 = 1 thousand
- 10,000 = 10t
- 10,000 = 10 thousand
- 100,000 = 100t
- 100,000 = 100,000
The term "mille" is also used on the Internet. "Mille" is Latin and means "1,000". With Google AdSense there is, among other things, the value "Page RPM". "RPM" means "Revenue per Mille", in German "Earnings per 1000" page views.
The English word for millennium is "Millenium". ("Mille" = 1000)
More meanings of K / k
The "K" at the end of a number can also stand for the temperature unit Kelvin. Among other things, 100K corresponds to -173.15 degrees Celsius.
In chat language, a “k” is an abbreviation for “okay”. Sometimes this is also written "kk".
10k, 40k and 100k in music
- "10K" is a song by Lil Raff.
- "40K" is a song by Ufo361.
- “100K” is a song by Gent feat. Kurdo.
- "100k" is a song by Oliver.
- “100K” is a song by BHZ feat. Monk & Dead Dawg.
- "100k" is a song by Maxwell, Gzuz & Bonez MC.
More abbreviations with 10k and 40k
The "10K run" is a 10-kilometer run. It is a popular running format for large events.
The video game "Warhammer 40,000" is also abbreviated to "Warhammer 40k" or sometimes just "40k".
If you enter “100k” in the search on Amazon, you will receive product suggestions for products in packs of 100.
The screen resolution "10K resolution" means that there are 10,000 pixels on a screen with a ratio of 64:27.
Back to the previous page | Category: Abbreviations
- Can the NSA see text messages
- Are Chinese smartphones safe?
- What happened to the Austrian Nazis after World War II
- Are people who eat fugu mentally ill?
- What are the rules of netball
- What was Man's first word
- How is the university in Taiwan
- What is your worst thought regarding death
- Why is warm water harmful to the kidneys
- How does PTSD affect your daily life?
- Why is it dangerous to wash raw chicken?
- Offers EY study opportunities
- What are the worst breakup experiences
- Why is alliteration effective
- What is adult education theory
- Are there Singaporeans who support Trump
- How do I eliminate clickbait on Facebook
- What is financial market in simple terms
- Is healthy eating really good for us
- How does the Roomba work
- Are you a doer or a slacker
- Is vaccination safe for children
- How much does Airpods 2
- How is the population in Japan declining
- What was your first car 1
- Eat pigs poop
- How many thousands make a crore
- What are some ways to reduce unemployment
- Are New Zealand Islands connected
- What does an IQ of 132 mean?
- What is a HYIP website listing
- Eat pigs poop
- Are there white privileges in Vietnam?
- Clickbank is banned in India