Should a cancer patient drink tea
Proper nutrition in cancer
With cancer and the associated therapy, the body has to cope with a lot. Almost every second person affected loses weight radically, often ten percent or more. Even a weight loss of 30 kilograms within a few weeks is not uncommon. Many sufferers underestimate how dangerous weight loss is. Every fourth person with cancer does not die of a tumor, but of malnutrition.
Experts therefore recommend targeted nutritional therapy as early as possible at the time of diagnosis so that sick people can maintain their weight. The higher the weight, the better the chances of defeating cancer.
Why cancer leads to weight loss
Weight loss in cancer is known as catabolism: the tumor produces messenger substances that disrupt the metabolism and weight regulation. They affect appetite and drain nutrients for tumor growth.
In addition to catabolism, there can also be other problems: The sick are tired and weakened by chemotherapy or radiation therapy, hardly have the strength to eat and suffer from swallowing difficulties due to inflamed mucous membranes in the mouth and esophagus, often the mucous membranes are all over the stomach. Intestinal tract attacked.
In addition, chemotherapy and radiation therapy change the intestinal flora and reduce the flow of saliva. Many sufferers can only eat small portions, for example porridge, smoothies and liquids.
Control vitamins and germs
In order to prevent malnutrition, the blood values of cancer patients must be checked, especially the content of vitamins and minerals. Vitamin D, iron, B vitamins, folic acid, selenium and zinc are particularly important for the defense against cancer. In addition, the digestive tract should be examined for germs that could hinder the absorption of nutrients.
Lots of vegetables with healthy oils and fats
The most important food for cancer sufferers is plenty of vegetables - in any form, according to personal taste. Easily digestible vegetables such as broccoli and carrots are ideal. Everyone has to try for themselves whether cabbage and onions are also tolerated. Zucchini and other organic vegetables contain valuable selenium.
So that the body can absorb all the ingredients, vegetables should be prepared with good fats and oils, for example with two to three tablespoons of olive oil, linseed oil, pumpkin seed oil or hemp oil a day. In addition, enough protein from legumes, cheese, yogurt, quark, and often fish. These are the typical ingredients of healthy Mediterranean cuisine, which are particularly recommended for cancer patients.
Eat meat only rarely and avoid milk if you have breast cancer
flesh Cancer patients should eat a maximum of two times a week. Because while vegetables strengthen the immune system and reduce inflammation, pork and turkey in particular have the opposite effect. The reason is the high content of arachidonic acid. Also processed or smoked Sausage products should rarely be on the menu for cancer.
If you have cancer, you should preferably eat organic meat to avoid antibiotics and hormones. Because of its hormone content, milk is better to avoid in hormone-dependent tumors such as breast cancer.
fish is better suited as a protein supplier with omega-3 fatty acids than meat.
Fruit in moderation
Fruit contains a lot of sugar - and the dear tumor cells. Cancer sufferers should therefore eat a maximum of two servings of fruit a day - because of their lower acidity, the mildest possible varieties such as pears.
Carbohydrates as needed
Nutritionists generally advise caution when it comes to pasta, potatoes, bread, rice and pastries. However, the recommendation does not apply to cancer patients who have to gain weight. You are dependent on carbohydrates and are allowed to eat anything, but should avoid sugar and alcohol. If you like potatoes, you can put the peeled tubers in water overnight to dissolve the fructose.
Example of a high-calorie diet during the day
- breakfast: Porridge made from oats, spelled or semolina with peach or tangerines and grated apple, possibly with an egg.
- First snack: Large portion of cream quark with berries - lots of protein for the muscles.
- Having lunch: Steamed salmon, zucchini and potatoes with hollandaise sauce or butter sauce and / or a dollop of sour cream.
- Second snack: Smoothie or pumpkin soup with one to two tablespoons of oil, turmeric - if you have problems with the mucous membrane or when swallowing, add banana or ice cream.
- dinner: Fine bread with full-fat cream and semi-hard cheese, scrambled eggs, broth - lots of calories and valuable protein.
Tips for loss of appetite
Cancer sufferers often have no appetite and therefore have difficulty in consuming the required amount of calories. In such cases, high-calorie liquid food from the pharmacy, often also referred to as astronaut food, helps temporarily. Baby food is also good.
It is important to distribute many small meals throughout the day and enjoy them in peace. Rituals like a beautifully set table can bring back the appetite and the joy of life. Anyone who eats on the side or even while lying down may spoil the joy of eating.
Especially those affected by smell should not cook everything themselves, prefer mild dishes and not eat too late. Sage tea can help with dry mouth and difficulty swallowing.
Don't neglect exercise
Sufficient exercise is important for appetite and digestion - five times a week for 30 minutes each time. How intensely you move is up to you. Even going for a walk works, but is often underestimated.
Caloric infusion for malnutrition
Food supplements are usually not required. They should only be used if a deficiency is actually found - and then only for a short time. If a patient suffers from extreme malnutrition, a high-calorie infusion can be administered in phases. High-calorie energy drinks prescribed by a doctor also provide the body with urgently needed nutrients.
Be careful with dietary supplements
A balanced diet provides the necessary nutrients, vitamins, trace elements and secondary plant substances. On the other hand, some food supplements can even impair the success of the therapy. Your intake must therefore always be discussed with a doctor:
- The anti-inflammatory one Coumarin The turmeric plant is said to have a cancer-preventing effect. However, coumarin should not be taken during chemotherapy or radiation therapy due to unclear interactions.
- Certain Enzymes can alleviate the side effects of chemotherapy or radiation therapy without affecting their effectiveness. They can be taken during therapy.
- Cancer patients often experience a deficiency as a result of an unbalanced diet Folic acid, an important nutrient for cells. Folic acid supplements should only be specifically prescribed if a folic acid deficiency has been demonstrated in the blood.
- selenium is an important trace element that can help prevent tumors as well as combat tumors during therapy. The dosage must, however, be discussed with the doctor and checked regularly.
- Vitamin A occurs sufficiently in fruit (oranges) and vegetables (carrots, kale). Experts advise against taking additional vitamin A supplements, as studies have shown that they have impaired the effect of radiation and chemotherapy.
- From high-dose infusions with vitamin C is rather inadvisable, as this vitamin is sufficiently contained in foods such as fruit and vegetables and the effect of higher doses has not been clarified.
- Vitamin D seems to have a positive effect on cell metabolism and protects against osteoporosis. In consultation with the attending physician and in the event of a proven vitamin D deficiency (especially in the winter months), it may be advisable to take it.
- The trace element found mainly in fish, red meat and whole grain products zinc is important for cell growth and the immune system. Even if cancer patients increasingly excrete zinc in their urine, caution should be exercised when taking zinc supplements. However, taking it for a limited time after completing cancer therapy is considered unproblematic.
Diet in Cancer: Myths and Facts
Does Eating Help Against Cancer? A wide variety of cures and anti-cancer diets are touted in guidebooks. The nutrition docs warn against "insider tips" and one-sided diets. more
This topic in the program:
Visit | 01/16/2018 | 8:15 pm
- What should religion be for you
- Which websites are similar to Shopgate
- How can I advertise my website here
- What percentage is 7 out of 12
- Who makes AirPods
- What career requires manipulating other people
- How much does Hawaii cost
- How someone can prove the extramarital affairs
- Most Filipinos are xenophobic
- What are the functions of financial services
- Affiliate Marketing is going to die
- The space expands in a black hole
- What is Advanced Dungeons and Dragons
- How do I install Fortnite on a PC
- Can you share your life journey
- How can we identify a profitable niche
- Are there weed dealers in NYC
- Is Mathematica faster than FORTRAN
- What if our pets could talk?
- What is the price of whey protein
- Is telekinesis scientifically true
- Schools help or hinder gifted students
- 80k a year is a good salary
- What determines the page rank in Google searches