Why can't college athletes make money?
US sports expert on extra income"College Sport Is Not Going To Collapse"
So far, it has been regulated at universities in the USA that good athletes who are worthy of support receive a full scholarship. This covers the very high tuition fees as well as accommodation, canteen meals and a small amount of pocket money. Beyond that, however, nothing may be earned - in contrast to students from other universities.
"In college sports, people have always clung to the age-old idea that you can only work with amateurs for the glory of the sport and the honor of the universities," explains Deutschlandfunk author and US sports expert Jürgen Kalwa.
US sports expert and Deutschlandfunk author Jürgen Kalwa (Deutschlandradio)
California Governor Gavin Newsom signed a bill in early October to make it easier for college athletes in his state to make money more easily with their name and brand image from 2023 onwards.
"That means that if you manage to make a small contract with a car dealer, for example, who will give him a rental car, or arrange small advertising appearances on television or generate other marketing opportunities, these can now be used," explains Jürgen Kalwa.
Horrible coach salaries
It is about billions in sales. According to Kalwa, what is generated in college sport is mainly generated by TV rights, but also by entrance fees and sponsors. That is phenomenal in America. However, the money also went to the staff of the coaches.
"They earn up to ten million dollars a year. And the supervisory bodies should also take good money home with them. Only the athletes themselves, who look into the tube," says the US sports expert.
Kalwa does not believe that college sports will break up as a result of this innovation. The question is whether the audience will still muster the very American enthusiasm for their old university.
"They are often ex-students who go to the games, they wear jerseys with the university's logos. There is a pride that is incorporated into it. I cannot imagine how I know America that that is It just slips away so that people say that if they are making money now, then I can no longer go there, "says Jürgen Kalwa.
- What breeds of dogs could thrive without humans
- Can WhatsApp become more racist
- What is the most racist country
- What is mach 2 speed
- What is drop surfing dropshipping
- Why does America need gun control
- Canada is similar to New Zealand
- Nazi Germany had crimes
- How and why did you become vegan
- Why is my health deteriorating so much
- Will Pakistan take action against the leaders of Pro Khalistan
- Why is Trump being charged
- What is the importance of religion
- What is the best remedy for piles
- What's in a black hole
- Is CPA Marketing 2019 Dead
- Why do plants make seeds
- How many centimeters are in 15 meters
- How hard it is to learn micro-strategy
- How can I sell huge products
- How many B2B companies are there in India
- How do sugar cookies keep their shape
- How broken are you after a breakup
- How do you monitor influencer marketing
- Why does Azerbaijan hate Iran
- Postal services accept handwritten addresses
- How do I determine a phoneme
- Why is half of the Colosseum broken
- How does Indonesia compare to the Philippines
- What's fifteen percent of two thousand
- Why do you need education
- Black Decker tools are cheaply made
- How do you impress a Chinese
- Which country discovered its first cancer case?