How are permalinks stored in Wordpress
In this guide, I'll show you how to do the Change WordPress Permalink and can update. This is an important setting. You can change this setting either immediately after the WordPress installation or afterwards.
Permalinks represent the URL structure of your website. You can change them at any time, even afterwards. Here's a quick example of how changing the WordPress permalinks will affect your URL. You can see at first glance that the optimized setting is much friendlier:
- Standard setting: https://www.deine-domain.de/?p=123
- Entry name setting: https://www.deine-domain.de/produkte
Table of Contents
Change / update WordPress permalink
You can update the WordPress permalinks under Settings - Permalinks. You have several options to choose from.
By default, either “Simple” or “Month and Name” is selected on many WordPress websites. In most cases, however, this is not optimal, which is why you should consider changing the permalink.
The Post Name setting is best for most websites.
If you change the setting to "Post Name", the URL structure looks a lot better. With this URL structure, both your visitor and Google immediately see what this page is about.
- Make a WordPress backup before making the change.
- In the admin area click on Settings - Permalinks.
- Check which setting is selected.
- Recommendation: Permalink setting "Post name".
- Click on "Apply changes" to save the setting.
As you can see, you can also change the WordPress permalinks later. After saving you will receive a corresponding success message.
Now you should check your website that everything is working correctly. Test your menu and internal links.
WordPress Permalink cannot be changed
This change works 99% of the time. Depending on how your server is configured, it may be that the WordPress htaccess file is write-protected. Then these permalink settings cannot be updated.
Depending on the server setting of your hosting provider, WordPress may not be able to make the changes you want. This is then due to the lack of write access to the WordPress htaccess file.
If this is the case for you, you will have to temporarily remove the write protection or manually include the content in the file.
- Copy the source code that is offered to you on this page.
- Add this to the htaccess file.
- Check whether the WordPress permalinks are displayed correctly
Important tasks after the permalink change
If your website has been around for a long time and you have subsequently changed the permalinks, you should consider the following aspects.
Customize internal links
Since the Pemalink change will change the link structure of your website, you should update all links within your website. The links in the menu are usually updated automatically by WordPress. You should check that briefly, but there is no additional work here.
If you have set internal links within your pages and posts, you still have to change them. Unfortunately, these are not changed automatically. You have to do this manually and by hand.
You can easily change and update the internal links using the editor.
301 Setting up forwarding
If you change the URL structure of your WordPress website, the links will change.
- If your website is brand new and has not yet been indexed by Google, that's fine. Then you don't have to do anything else.
- If your website has already been indexed by Google and is included in the index, you should set up a 301 redirect for each individual page.
Since the links have changed, visitors may come across the wrong page or a 404 error page. Of course, this is not particularly professional and your visitor will not be happy about it.
The following scenarios are conceivable
- Internal links on your website have stopped working. We talked about this topic in the last section.
- Other websites link to individual pages of yours. You can either ask the website operator to change the link or set up a redirect accordingly.
- If Google has already indexed your pages, Google will redirect you to the wrong pages. It may take time for Google to recognize the change and include the new URLs in the index. With a 301 redirect you make Google's work easier.
When your website has few visitors
If you still have a few website visitors and you are not afraid of ranking changes and possibly worse positions, you can do without setting up redirects.
If you already have a lot of website visitors
If, on the other hand, you get a few visitors every day from Google or other websites, you should set up redirecting your pages accordingly. The decision is of course yours.
There are various plugins for WordPress that you can use to implement this.
Update WordPress permalinks from http to https
https is now standard. If your website is not yet https-encrypted, you should definitely change that and apply for an SSL certificate for WordPress.
Here, too, you have to change and update the WordPress permalinks, as the URL of every page changes:
- OLD: http://www.deine-website.de
- NEW: https://www.deine-website.de
More SEO optimizations
SEO means search engine optimization. Search engine optimization is very important so that you get a lot of visitors to your website. With the WordPress htaccess setting you have already taken an important step towards this.
Because your URL (i.e. the permalink) is now displayed much nicer, Google and co. imagine much more under it. As soon as you have set this setting, I recommend that you deal more intensively with the topic of SEO.
Translated, SEO means "search engine optimization". There are various WordPress SEO plugins and optimizations so that your keywords are listed as high up in Google as possible.
I would like to briefly introduce you to the currently most popular and best SEO plugin for WordPress. The plugin is called YoastSEO and you can use the basic version for free.
FAQ - Questions & Answers
How can I change the WordPress Permalink?
You can change the WordPress permalink by clicking on Settings - Permalinks in the backend. At this point you will find various options. I recommend the Post Name setting. This is the best setting for most websites and blogs. This will display your website address very nicely.
Can I change WordPress permalinks afterwards?
Yes, you can change the WordPress permalinks afterwards. If you have a new website that nobody knows about, it's safe to update the WordPress permalinks. If your website is already known and also listed in the Google ranking, you should consider the following aspect. Changing the permalinks will change the URL of every single page on your website. For this reason, it is very important that after updating the permalinks for each page, you redirect from the old URL to the new URL.
Changing the WordPress permalink doesn't work?
In rare cases, changing the WordPress permalinks won't work. If this does not work for you either and the changes are not adopted, this is probably due to a lack of write access to the htaccess file. In this case you have 2 options. Either you insert the code manually into this file after the change or you change the write permissions of this file.
What is a WordPress Permalink?
A permalink is in WordPress is the link of your subpage or your post. www.oliverpfeil.de/wordpress/wordpress-permalinks is the permalink of this page. So this is the address of your individual pages. By default, the address of a page or blog article is often not displayed in a particularly reader-friendly manner in WordPress. So it makes sense to take a closer look at this setting.
- What are the delicious restaurants in London
- What is the creative process
- How can I make money in fashion
- Gold is the biggest scam in history
- Is feminism misunderstood why or why not
- UberEats is good for grocery delivery
- Is luck more important than money 1
- How many classes are there in your school
- How Much Do Marketers Pay To Bloggers
- What RO removes from the water
- What was the first book ever written
- In 1776 the Americans had British accents
- Incest is common
- How do I clean the sofa
- Self-help books are still popular
- What technological advances have made skyscrapers possible?
- What is AWS Autoscaling
- Which sales rep CRM Who uses this
- What do quasars emit
- Can a relationship survive infidelity in May and December
- What religion was the Prophet Muhammad before Islam
- What happened to blog posts on Quora
- What do you refuse to spoil yourself
- How to become an SEO professional
- What are shapes that have 4 sides
- Where can I share my poems
- How do I become emotionally strong and intelligent
- What are your favorite hand tool hacks
- What does Islam say about prehistoric dinosaurs
- Tree plants get cancer
- How many Discord servers can you create
- What are the branches of psychology
- What are the greatest unsolved crimes in the world
- What should i do after masturbating