Why is nobody answering my questions here?
answer or answer?
Have you ever wondered if there is a difference between verbs reply and answer gives? And if so, what exactly is this difference?
We answer you because we would like to answer this question to you. It is also not very difficult to answer this question. So we answer now.
As for the main meaning, there is no difference between the two verbs. The main meaning of both verbs is:
give an oral or written answer to a question
However, you have to be careful when using these verbs, because the usage varies.
The verb answer is transitive, i.e. it always starts with an accusative object (What do we answer?). In contrast, the verb reply without additions, with a dative (Who do we answer?) or with the preposition on + accusative (What do we respond to?) stand.
answer to + accusative
to answer something to someone
answer a question / letter
- The teacher asked the class, but no one answered.
- I ask and you answer.
- Why do not you answer?
- You have to answer me when I ask you.
- Why do not you answer me?
answer to something
- He asked a question, but no one answered his question.
- Why don't you answer my question?
- I haven't replied to your letter yet.
- He answered no to my question.
- Would you please answer the questions in the questionnaire?
to answer something to someone
- Have you already replied to his letter?
- Please answer me to this question!
- I am not answering the question.
- I do not answer this question.
- He answered yes to my question.
- Would you please answer the questionnaire?
Differences between the two verbs
But there is a slight difference between the two verbs. With the meaning “react to an event” one uses rather answer to as answer.
- She responded to this behavior with a shake of her head.
- The indignant audience responded to the politician's statements with boos and whistles.
- The goal to make it 1-0 came in the 23rd minute, but our team responded immediately with the equalizer.
We hope we have answered your question.
Here you read and learn all meanings of the verb reply.
<< hung or hung?
during or during? >>
change or change?
visit or visit?
end or end?
All questions and answers from the series
Good question | Questions from German lessons
- How many relationships really work
- How do I overcome bad life
- Which are the fake companies in Hyderabad
- Why do police officers no longer wear shoulder holsters?
- Sucks the thumb on a mental disorder
- Where do relationships fail
- How many liters are 2 5 liters
- Is Australia socialist
- How is Quidditch played in real life
- Are Jungkook Jimin gay
- Why do most Chinese like Trump?
- What are the creative ways of branding
- Is Northumbria University good for international students
- Why does it make you happy to help people
- Does Coinbase have an affiliate program
- How do I delete a Python interview
- What would cause wheezing at night
- Money is more important than private life
- How did God speak in Genesis
- What are the examples of agility
- How can habits change your life
- Do food trucks well
- How is the economy of a country going?
- What is a vapor separator