How well do the Singaporeans speak Mandarin
In which countries in Asia is Mandarin better understood than English?
I have just spent a week in Seoul and a lot of the shops there seemed to be more fluent in Mandarin than English. This was particularly noticeable in tourist areas such as the Myeongdong area and the Noryangjin fish market. In fact, almost every vendor at the Noryangjin Fish Market spoke Mandarin (I look Chinese so everyone tries to talk to me), and it took a while to find someone who could understand at least a little bit of English. I think this is due to the large number of Chinese tourists present in these tourist shopping areas. In general, however, there were more signs in English than in Chinese, and many Koreans (especially older ones) are more positive about western countries than China.
I imagine it's pretty similar in other countries - in tourist areas, you will likely find a lot of Mandarin speakers trying to sell stuff to Chinese tourists, but outside of those areas, English is probably more common than Mandarin. There are likely to be exceptions - Singapore is definitely one of them as a vast majority of its population are ethnically Han Chinese.
As a side note - for the Korean part of your trip, you might want to spend a few days learning Hangul, as it's an incredibly easy alphabet to learn. Even if you don't know what most of the words mean, you'll find that many Korean words sound very similar to their Mandarin counterparts, and you might even be able to figure out what some Korean characters are saying there are no English / Chinese translations available. If you're speaking to someone in Korea who doesn't speak English or Mandarin, you might be lucky if you say a few nouns in Mandarin and hope that the Korean counterpart of these characters sounds similar.
- Is the ancient Hebrew related to the ancient Phoenician
- What is it like to feel happy?
- What is Mastercam
- Who makes Xanax
- Is it easy to live alone
- Singaporeans take religion seriously
- An electron decays
- How does the private equity business work
- How was Jesus raised to divinity?
- How many cups are there in a liter
- Is Thailand development already close to Malaysia
- How many Malaysians can speak English
- Why are sheep making noise?
- What should a Ticketmaster ticket look like?
- How can parents motivate teenagers
- What is the weirdest internet puzzle
- Do criminals have a right to privacy
- Is Dubai good for jobs
- Why is food so expensive in Australia
- How do I accept online payments
- What are the dark sides of Thailand
- Cows get drunk on fermented grains
- Why are moments calculated in statistics
- Do Czechs speak English
- What are some interesting math interview questions
- Is it bad to avoid negative things
- Why do people take drugs 1
- Why do people become cruel
- Is it illegal to sell homemade weapons?
- Is the SHAREit app an Indian app
- Is affiliate marketing real
- What are the five odd numbers
- Where do witches live 1
- Like lesbians lesbians