Listerine was a floor cleaner
Image from "The Saturday evening post"
Innovation is less targeted and planned than you might think. Many breakthroughs are based on variations in design, marketing, or business model.
An example of this is Listerine, named after Joseph Lister, the father of modern surgery. Lister's research made the surgery safer by reducing the risk of post-operative infections. He advocated the use of carbolic acid as an antiseptic, which became the first popular antiseptic. With increasing knowledge of germs, the need for cleanliness grew in the Victorian population. The market has been flooded with detergents and hygiene products containing carbolic acid.
Listerine was one of them. It was founded in 1879 by the chemist Dr. Joseph Lawrence designed. Lawrence listened to a Lister lecture and then started an antiseptic production in an old cigar factory. Unfortunately, there was no success. Until he met the pharmacist Jordan W. Lambert in 1881. Lambert bought the trademark and formulation from him and marketed Listerine as a versatile antiseptic, e.g. as a floor cleaner and as a remedy for gonorrhea. In 1895, Lawrence came up with the idea of selling Listerine to dentists as an antibacterial mouthwash. The rest is history.
Inventioninnovation principlesJoseph Listerinnovation
Previous postFritz Haber and Carl Bosch The large-scale industrial process for the synthesis of ammonia developed by Fritz Haber and Carl Bosch (celebrating their birthday today) keeps our world going
Next postSide effects are often just as important as the goal. It is characteristic of large-scale technical and economic projects that side effects and effects that are aimed at achieving the goal are
- How can you improve your school
- Can someone really be completely happy
- What did Aristotle say about knowledge
- How do you find inspiration for writing
- What makes you smart
- What are 2 pints equal to ounces
- Why is Scrabble called Scrabble
- People eat rabbits
- Linkin Park is an overrated band
- Why is Quora deleting my answers
- Why You Prefer Email Marketing 1
- What could be causing chest pain for weeks
- How is the Euclidean distance calculated
- How difficult is CISSP
- What are some facts about space stars
- What does meaning
- In which countries is it worth migrating?
- What percentage of people die each day
- What is an online shopping cart
- Are Trump's tariffs legal under the WTO?
- What is three phase power
- How can I deal with racism
- How do I integrate TypeForm in WordPress
- MLM is considered a scam