How do you call out a lieutenant
The look reveals liars
Nobody likes to be lied to. But how do you know if the other is telling the truth? A few tricks can be used to expose liars.
Time and again, stories of false doctors who have practiced for years are astonishing. Or reports about people who are masters at copying works of art by famous painters. With such professional liars, for example, fraud in the form of forging documents is mixed with verbal falsehoods.
If someone is cheating in a conversation, there are techniques that can be used to identify untruths. Because the body doesn't lie. So it is important to look carefully. If someone you are talking to keeps touching their mouth or nose, this can be an indication that they are lying.
Liars are mostly uncomfortable in their own skin. "They move differently than when they are honest," writes star magician Simon Winthrop in his book "How to Become a Mentalist". A person who lies becomes more rigid in his movements. It takes up less space.
Contrary to popular belief, dishonest people do look their counterparts in the eye. They do this so that they are not exposed. You maintain eye contact for a long time and don't interrupt it - in contrast to the flow of speech. It often falters. Furthermore, according to Winthrop, a liar either does not value details or a lot.
A potential liar can be put to the test, for example, by trying to throw him off balance with a surprising compliment. “Liars will be happy to get out of the conversation so far. Such behavior is more likely to annoy or confuse honest people. You'd rather come back to the previous topic, ”says the book.
It is known from interrogations by agents of the FBI or the CIA that liars blink their eyes nervously or squint. The jaw is usually tense, the arms are crossed in front of the body. The eyes give clues about what has been said. If the respondent's eye movement goes to the top left, he tries to construct an image in the brain. If he looks to the top right, what he has actually experienced is called up. The direction is relevant because other brain regions are addressed in each case. Experts agree that all people lie from time to time. Be it out of necessity or out of politeness.
Remember the lie
There was an experiment with a man from Bavaria who for a long time only spoke the truth. He didn't just make friends with it. On the contrary: if you tell your neighbor that you have already looked better, your relationship with him will probably not improve.
Some lie to protect themselves from indiscreet questions. But there is also doping cheating and criminal acts such as murder. A criminal offense comes to the fore here. A lie is therefore not always a lie. In any case, if you lie, you need a good memory in order not to expose yourself. Once the concept is disrupted, it no longer works smoothly, according to Winthrop.
Simon Winthrop: How to Become a Mentalist, 2012, mvg Verlag, CHF 24.90
- What is an african religion
- How does rust affect a weapon?
- Do criminals have a right to privacy
- Can I repeat the IB exam?
- Is a decimeter bigger than a millimeter
- What are some examples of political correctness
- What is a funnel in marketing
- What is a logical paradox
- Why is the UK high income country
- Why not women like mother-in-law
- How do bad eating habits affect health
- What inspires you to go on living every day
- What career requires manipulating other people
- Hispanic men meet black women
- What is a great underrated dish
- Uses a Google search engine AI
- What indicates high CBC hematology
- What happened to the Beatles
- Why does dad hate me
- Why am I hated by almost everyone?
- Is KFC healthier than BurgerKing
- What is Turkish food made of?
- Why are Yahoo Answers questions so stupid
- Are pellet guns really not lethal