Can I get poison to kill myself


Poisoning are far more common than expected. In Germany alone, 30,000 children are poisoned each year, mostly from medication, aggressive cleaning agents or pesticides lying around. The most common cause in adults is attempted suicide (~ 85% of all poisonings), followed by poisoning from hazardous substances.

Poison control centers in Germany, Austria and Switzerland provide information on whether certain substances are poisonous and how dangerous it is to come into contact with them. They also give specific instructions on what to do.

Drug poisoning

When attempting suicide, those affected usually take an overdose of medication (sleeping pills), often in combination with a lot of alcohol. With timely admission to the hospital (pumping out the stomach), the person can be saved. However, poisoning with some painkillers such as B. Paracetamol (Ben-u-ron®).

Signs and complaints

  • Clouding of consciousness, unconsciousness
  • Respiratory and circulatory disorders
  • Nausea, vomiting, diarrhea
  • Coma-like deep sleep
  • Uncoordinated speaking and babbling.


  • Call an ambulance
  • Collect poison residues and give them to the hospital.

Do you also help in the event of a suicide attempt?

You are also required to provide first aid if you attempt suicide. A person who has decided to end his life, to tear himself out of his coma, to pump his stomach out and to put it in a closed psychiatric ward - doesn't that violate the right of self-determination of every person?

The question is justified, but the case law assumes that a person who wants to commit suicide does not want to carry out his act to the end and therefore demands the right, even the obligation, to life-saving measures in the sense of “management without a mandate”. This also corresponds to life experience. Most people who have survived a suicide attempt are - after a certain period of time - grateful to have been saved.

Food poisoning

If dairy products and meat in particular are not adequately cooled, they are breeding grounds for undesirable bacteria and fungi. These organisms produce toxins that are not destroyed even by heating (sometimes even by boiling). Symptoms of poisoning occur after ingestion of food.

The most common pathogens are Salmonella, which carries the majority of laying hens. They are mainly transmitted through dishes with raw eggs such as homemade tiramisu and mayonnaise. The bacterium, on the other hand, changes from person to person Staphylococcus aureus transmitted, the second leading culprit of food poisoning. This bacterium is a problem in large kitchen catering in particular.

Signs and complaints

  • Severe vomiting about three hours after ingesting food, followed by massive diarrhea immediately or later
  • Headache and stomach ache
  • The loss of fluids may cause signs of shock.


The main danger is the loss of fluids; this can often only be compensated for with infusions. If diarrhea and vomiting exceed a certain level, the person affected should therefore be hospitalized. In particular with infants, toddlers and the elderly, this should not be hesitated.

  • Carefully give the drink of your choice, tea or mineral water
  • If necessary, shock position.

Poisoning from mushrooms, plants and berries

Ignorance or lack of supervision in children are the most common causes of berry, plant, and mushroom poisoning. Information on whether the plants or mushrooms are inedible, poisonous or even life-threatening can be obtained from the poison control centers by telephone or on the Internet.

Signs and complaints

  • Nausea, vomiting
  • Colic (labor-like cramps) and diarrhea
  • Dizziness, restlessness, confusion
  • Breathing disorders.

In case of poisoning by deadly nightshade or thorn apple: dry mucous membranes, rapid pulse, dilated pupils.

In some cases of poisoning, e.g. However, it takes up to 24 hours for the first signs of poisoning to appear. That doesn't make the poisoning any less harmless. The white cap mushroom is the most poisonous of all European mushroom species - even a single mushroom consumed can be fatal.


  • Collect poison residues and give them to the hospital.

Detergent poisoning

It mainly affects children who have consumed detergents or dishwashing detergents. Most of these agents are relatively non-toxic. However, since they tend to foam, there is a risk that foam will get into the lungs, especially when vomiting. Some cleaning products, e.g. B. aggressive toilet cleaners or decalcifying agents contain chlorine or other caustic substances, so there is a risk of burns to the oral cavity and esophagus.

Signs and complaints

  • Nausea, possibly diarrhea and foamy vomiting
  • Burning pain in the mouth area with corrosive substances
  • Difficulty swallowing, increased salivation
  • Traces of etching on lips and mucous membranes (scabbed, glassy swellings, plaque, also bleeding)
  • In severe cases shortness of breath and signs of shock.


  • Call an emergency doctor immediately
  • Never make the affected person vomit
  • Elevate upper body
  • Give plenty of water to drink to dilute the corrosive substance
  • Anti-shock.
  • Emergency numbers for poison information centers (always up-to-date on under the heading patient information / overview poison emergency calls; all centers are manned around the clock):
  • Berlin-Brandenburg (030) 19240
  • Bonn (0228) 19240
  • Erfurt (0361) 730730
  • Freiburg (0761) 19240
  • Goettingen (0551) 19240
  • Homburg / Saar (06841) 19240
  • Mainz (06131) 19240
  • Munich (089) 19240
  • Nuremberg (0911) 3982451
  • The poison emergency number in Zurich is responsible for Switzerland: reachable via poison emergency number 145 (without dialing code) or (01) 2515151 (
  • - Website of the information center against poisoning of the University of Bonn: Here you can find information about mushrooms.


Drs. Med. Katharina and Sönke Müller; Dr. med. Arne Schäffler | last changed on at 17:35